Had 3 nice strong colonies that decided to swarm in the last 2 weeks and were filling the supers nicely.Whats the best thing to do to help them build back up.I probably am going to redistribute supers onto stronger hives and see how quickly the swarmed ones build backup.2 colonies just have eggs and not much brood yet the other does not have eggs yet will need to recheck next week.I try to give them plenty of room but I don't do weekly checks for queen cells kind of labor intensive when you have 20-30 hives to go thru.

Hi Cider, Ask Clayton about unlimited brood nest. I started it last year with Carniolans and have had only one swarm. It works and saves a lot of time and worry. Once bees start filling queen cells, they are almost sure to swarm. My hives are full of bees, but no swarm cells. Good beeing, Jim

------------------
    Jim

Hi Jim,

Glad that unlimited broodnest management works for you. You got them supered up tall yet?

Clay

That actually is a good idea the 3 hives are only about a foot from each other in 2 deeps with supers could combine the colonies into two 3deeps and see if this helps them build back up sooner.I have them at a wildflower nursery and they should have blossoms to work throughout the summer.I have wintered in 3 deeps and the hives come out strong in the spring no feeding easy to split.I have seen large swarms in past do you know if swarms from different hives ever combine to make these huge 25-30 lb swarms?Cider

Hi Cider, I've never known swarms to combine. Some of these super strong hives can throw some big ones. I am a believer in the 3 deeps.
    Hi Clay, It takes a step ladder to work my hives. I'm afraid it will not all be needed. We had a late freeze that killed the poplar bloom as well as the sumac. To top that, We are in a drought situation. We can always look forward to next year.

------------------
    Jim

Question

Clayton,
    What is unlimited broodnest management?

Hi,

Set the Bulletin Board to show ALL topics from the last year. Scroll down to the bottom and you should see 6 pages of past info. Click on page 5. Scroll down till you see the subject Combining hives (start here) and then unlimited broodnests. If you don't find it let me know and I'll gather it up and put it here. There is more than that if you care to look through the old posts. Maybe some under beekeeping 101 too!

Clay