I live near Spokane Washington, and by now, most of the unirrigated vegetation is brown. How do I know when it is time to begin feeding my bees sugar water, and how far into the fall do I continue?

Before I feed I'm looking for two things. A dearth and light hives. If they are heavy I probably won't bother to feed. If they are light and there isn't a flow then I'd feed them while you can (before it turns too cold). A dearth is easy to tell. The bees will be interested in everything including things like fallen fruit or too much interest in each other's hives. [img]smile.gif[/img] And the hives will be getting lighter everyday instead of heavier.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

If you have a hive scale, you could look through your records and compare. For instance, last year this time my hive scale read 125 pounds. This year it weighs 105 pounds. The other thing I do is look through a few of my hives. I keep everything in mediums ( 3 brood boxes). I like to have about 15 frames or more of capped honey for winter stores. I figure my first hard frost is about mid October. I have about 1 month for bees to readily suck down syrup. They will continue to take it until about Thanksgiving but once the weather turns cool they take it a lot slower.

Once I start feeding I'll go back in about two weeks and check their stores. When I see them getting close to filling 1 super I know I'm on the right track.

The best thing to do is contact local beekeepers and see what they reccommend (pound wise) to overwinter bees in your area.

By the wsy, I REALLY like the styrofoam feeders from BetterBee!