I have two hives in my backyard in Bountiful, Utah. I have a constant stream of yellow jackets coming to my hives and attacking my bees. Generally it is a one on one fight and the yellow jacket will take off the back abdomen portion of the bee back to its hive.

I have two yellow jacket / wasp traps by the hives, but the catch is minimal. I can kill twice as many per day just sitting in front of them with a fly swatter. I've killed over 25 a day for several days in a row now. Any suggestions? Should I even be worrying about this?
    Thanks for the input!

The fly swatter approache won't hurt, but it doesn't seem to be resolving the problem either.

I'd reduce the entrance and maybe put on a robber screen. Are they attacking them in front of the hive? Maybe "beeline" back to the YJ nest and kill them at the source. A little gasoline goes a long ways.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

Welcome to Beesource.

I had a hive last year that was being pounded with yellow jackets as you state. I later discovered this hive was queenless and weak.
    I've haven't seen the YJ try it on a strong hive. That must be the key.

Also try trapping the YJ in a container of regular pepsi. I use a plastic spaggeti sauce container with a hole in the bottom, and the container laying on it's side. Use about a 1/2 can of pepsi and they yellow jackets will get in and won't find the hole to get back out. Empty dead YJ out when full and repeat. I found it works better than the commercial traps and is cheaper.
    The honey bees never went near it.
    Todd Zeiner

http://www.beeworks.com/waxmoth.htm

"Take a 2 litre plastic pop bottle and drill a 1 inch hole just below the slope on the neck, then add 1 cup water, 1 cup sugar, ½ cup vinegar and finally 1 banana peel. Wait a few days till it starts to ferment, then tie it into a tree close to the hives. This trap will draw the wax moth, they enter the hole can't get out and drown in the liquid, this will even draw in and kill the bald faced hornet."

Also works on Yellow Jackets. Adding some meat (turkey lunchmeat etc) also seems to help in the summer and fall.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF