I have yet another question. (thank goodness it doesnt cost per question )

It would be nice to have a honey crop next year and since I have only one established hive, I hope to have a little from that hive.

I plan to start 4-8 more hives next spring. I would like to get a honey crop from them but I know if I buy 3 pounds of bees with a queen, it is likely that I will not get a honey crop..at least that is what the books say.

Would I more then likely get a honey crop if I buy a nuc full of bees and brood and then place them in deeps rathern then buying 3 pounds of bees?

Ok, your just full of questions, that's good.
    What I would do is take your established hive feed them well in the spring. Make the queen lay eggs like mad. Then go thru and take one frame of brood and one frame of honey shake all the bees off of it, and place the brood into a hive and give that to the 3 lbs package of bees. They will build up fast. If you don't want to do it that way then you can establish the 3 lbs package first. Let them do a cycle of brood and then give them a frame of sealed brood from the old hive.
    Nuc is the best by the way. Just looking at the $$$ involved. From cheapest to most expensive.
    Good luck.
    Dan

I've established hives that don't make a crop of honey. I've had a 2 pound package that I split six times in one year and still got some honey.

I think the books are trying to keep you prepared for the real likelyhood that you won't get any honey the first year. It's quite possible to get a small crop of honey from a 3 pound package in a good year and also possible you'll feed them all year and not make anything.

If you have the money to spend and you want more hives and you want honey next year, by all means buy some packages. If you don't have the money to spend then feed the ones you have in the spring to get an early start and do a cut down split just before the honey flow. You should get a honey crop and a new hive.

A nuc will almost always outperform a package all other things being equal. The nuc has about a month's head start on the package.