Thread: Heating Honey

Hybrid View

I recently opened up a large container of honey which was stored for 3-5 years in a basement/garage. It tastes fine, although very dark. I am considering heating it up before bottleing to kill off any sugar-tolerant yeasts that may be present. My questions are:
    1) Is it really necessary to heat up old honey?
    2) What temperature/duration should it be heated at?
    3) How should it be cooled?

Thanks in advance for your comments.
    Best regards
    Gary

Hi Gary !
    As Far as we know , honey will keep "Indefinitely" provided it was "RIPE" before it was extracted., i.e. moisture content below 18 %.
    If it coverted into granules , one warms it to the maximum of 150 deg F. Most people like to keep it to a max of 110 F. It just takes some time to liquefy to it's original state with all values intact. There is NOTHING wrong with granulation or Creamed honey . It just applies better to bread since it does not run over the edges.
    So, enjoy the honey as is or convert it. Either way it tasts ok and is nutricious.
    Happy beeing
    Catfish

Gary ! I just reread our question. The honey is dark . Nothing you can do about that. It's ok.
    If I under stood you corectly, the honey is still liquid.In that case , just go ahead and bottle it . No need to fiddle with it any further.
    Take care
    Catfish