I just cought a swarm yesterday in michigan I know they say a swarm in july isn't worth a fly but any tip on hoe to get it though the winter? I am feeding it right now and It fills about five frames in just one day they filled a frame with nectar! thanks SWARM

If you have other hives, take out a frame or two of honey/pollen from each hive and give them a running start. A frame or two of brood also.

The established hives can make up for it and you can introduce new foundation, open up pollen/honey bound hives, equal out hive strength, etc. Alot of choices.

If you have the hives and resources, and with a name like swarm_trapper I'm assuming you do, then a swarm at anytime is worth it.

If you don't, feed, feed, and more feed.

Feed, Feed, Feed. use a 2 to 1 syrup. In cenrtal Michigan they will need between 80 to 100 pounds of honey to make it thru the winter
    Clint

------------------
    Clinton Bemrose
    just South of Lansing Michigan

Of course, like they said feed. And taking some brood, pollen and honey from some of your stronger hives is good advice too. Also, if it looks like it won't make it you can always combine it later. I'd say a swarm in July is still nice.

a swarm in july is worth a try.

Smile

My first swarm I got was in late Augest I feed them 15# of sugar 1 to 1 and they made it through the winter!

If you have another weak hive you could combine using a double screen board left on for 24 hrs, or you could use a sheet of newspaper to combine them.Your lucky to get such a big swarm, I just pick up a swarm about the size of a large softball. I am combining that using a bouble screen board with a nuc that I started in June.

Question

I dont understand why a people say a swarm in July isnt worth a fly ,but yet some beekeepers will do a split in July .
    so whats the difference between catching a swarm and starting a new hive in the month of July ??
    Zeke

The split has comb and brood which is a head start, but I've noticed a natural swarm works with an energy that you don't see in a colony. They seem desperate to get established.

Acutally the old saying, "A swarm in May is worth a stack of hay, a swarm in june is worth a silver spoon, a swarm in July isn't worth a fly", came about back when hives were kept in skeps and you pretty much destroyed the colony to steal the honey and no one fed. A swarm in July would be lucky to make it to spring since it would get no help and at best, wouldn't make any honey that year with those methods of beekeeping. I hate chronological snobbery, but for once, I think we do mange them much better these days.