My bees were working my boxwood shrubs yesterday. I saw no pollen on their legs--were they collecting nectar? I didn't think boxwoods were good for anything so far as bees are concerned!

Don't know if this is the case for you, but at my house I thought that I had boxwood shrubs, it turns out that they are not boxwood but actually a type of holly. The holly shrubs are almost indistinguishable from true boxwood shrubs (at least to me!). The hollies have a very small white flower inside the plant that my bees love. Hollies (of all types) in my area represent a major part in the spring flow.

You may be right, astrobee. The shrubs were there when we bought the house five years ago, interplanted with azaleas. I even replaced one that had died. I'll have look closer and compare the one I bought--which I know is a boxwood--to the pre-existing shrubs. As I was watching the bees, I did see small flower buds in there, but they didn't look very nectar prone. I do know the bees love the hollies--they made some of the prettiest golden honey last year from the hollies in and around our property.

Another possibility?

COuld they have been gathering propolis?

The dead give away between holly and box wood is the color of the bark. hollies have different shades of grey bark on the old wood. Boxwoods have different shades of brown. Boxwoods are soft to the touch and the hollies have a course plastic like feel. Hollies are usaully darker green as well but not always. Boxwoods do bloom though wether or not bees use them I do not know.