I looked into the yard just as we were finishing dinner and there was a very large black bear loping towards the bird feeders (which we always take in at night). Although he/she seemed to ignore the beeyard, we knew that since we hadn't cleared the grass and weeds lately, the fence was ineffective--so we spent the remaining daylight with the grass clippers and string trimmer. The bear was a magnificent sight -- but I hope he/she stays away from my bees!

I'm so glad we don't have to deal with bears down here. They are beautiful, but I would rather see a whitetail deer heading to the bee yard than a bear, lol. Deer don't have a taste for honey or for bees, last I heard.

The electric fence should keep him out .I have pretty good luck with mine,a 12 volt car battery,4 charged wires,chicken wire connected to ground,bacon tied to the wires.They test 5000 volts and repeatedly turn bears away year after year in outyards.Let a battery go dead,or a charger fails and they will tear down the fence to get to the bees.
    ---Mike

I have a bunch of Bears to deal with so I built a bee box platform. It's 8' high with two 4"x4"steel posts built like a " T " anchored in concrete. I put two 8' wood 4"x4" one from each end of the tee conntecting the two posts. I then nailed 3 wood pallets to the 4x4's. My hives sit on top. I get to them with a ladder that I take up and down. The platform is two tall for the bears to reach and they cannot climb the metal posts. They walk around it trying to figure it out and for the most part have given up. Food supply is real good so I will have the final results later this fall when they are in a tizzy trying to get fat. I have steers and horses enclosed in eletric fences and the beras seem unfazed by the jolt they get when crwaling through the wires. They do not pick the apples from the trees they tear down the trees. I have 20 different bears that access my place all summer. So it's a real problem. I was able to get all the material for the platform surplus for $50.

I would hate to be the one hauling the full supers down the ladder.

Round Top, New York - Northern Catskill Mtns.

When using an electric fence for bears you have to bait the fence. The bear's fur is too thick and works well as an insulator.
    I had bears go through my fence a number of times and even used barb wire as a hot wire to try and stop them.
    Four years ago, I started baiting the hot wires with beacon partially cooked.
    The bears have not been through in that time. I have bears around the house and bee yards all of the time.
    No one touches the bacon, even over the winter when the fence is off.

A Devries Guest

Big Grin

In my mind I have this angry confused bear walking around with a numb mouth, kind of like the time I peed on the fence as a little kid.

Round Top, New York - Northern Catskill Mtns.

Have you ever peed on an electric fence again?

Once he gets julted, he will look for easier food.

Bears here could care less about electric fences. I tried the bacon thing and chicken skin as well. They would just swat it off or tear the fence down. It's a NZ fence so not an easy task. If you use a long ladder stretched out you can just walk down with the supers like walking down stairs. I suppose that they are heavy for some folks but it's better than giving the honey to the bears.

We had fences on our beeyards located in Gallberry country in eastern NC. Used 12-volt car batteries, 3 wires of barbed wire with a ground wire so if the bear touched any two wires, he got zapped. Only had one break-in, due to a dead battery.