Question

About a mile West of Hillsboro Ks. Home of Barkman honey, one of the largest honey processors/distributiors in the USA, there is a pallot with four hives stackes five boxes high, (branded Barkman) and an open fifty-five gallon drum of honey. This is just sitting out in the open pasture, with no crops near-by.

Whatz up with that? Could it be some contaminated honey being re-processed by the bees?

I don't know how much contamination they will remove. They certain will get the dirt or bugs or such out. But chemicals are another matter.

Who knows? Maybe there is a dearth and they are feeding?

Are you sure its honey not corn syrup?some of the big outfits open feed by just setting a barrel of syrup out.But that wouldnt really make sense in the situation you describe-only 4 hives plus supers still on.55 gals of syrup for 4 hives would be a bit of overkill!

It could be that it was spilled and picked up off the floor dirty. But couldn't they just filter it?

He might be fall feeding or like I do let the bees clean up the cappings , scappings, and suppers with wet frames. Its easier for the bees to do it and they do a great job cleaning.
    I would walk over to take a look anyway. Won't hurt plus we all would like to know.

Dan

It's true, that's what I'd do with a floor spill. Scoop it up and feed it. The bees will clean it all up. I definitely would not try to filter spilled honey.