Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Removing bees from porch attic

4K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  Michael Bush 
#1 ·
A local resident contacted us about honey bees in his porch attic. Is it worth the trouble to try to remove these bees and hive them in a box? We are in central NC and are also wondering if is late in the season to try to get the honey bees to get established in a new hive box.

If it is worth it, what would be the best and quickest way to get the bees, and be sure to get the queen.

#2 ·
It will be worth 5 times as much in March or April then it is now, if he will wait that long. As for getting them out, every case is different. I have taken them out in 30 minutes and I have spent a number of days on some. No two are alike.
I am near Greensboro if you need help, I will send you my phone number.

#4 ·
Here in Louisiana,it will remain very warm for another two months on average. I have been doing removals as of late & have more scheduled. I believe the issue is to establish them before the onset of winter.I take my time when performing removals, and try to get the queen. Lately I have been very successful in locating her, but I take painstaking measures to locate her. I always put brood comb in frames, the more the better, & I use a bee vac,then feed the bees to help them build up new comb.

#8 ·
Hawk, Are you telling me a man that will purposely tear into a box of stinging insects time after time, knowing he is going to be stung numerous times, even paying money for the boxes to do so, isn't already insane?? I can find MANY people in the general populace that will contradict you on that .

See, Sundance, I told you you were getting me in trouble when you showed me all those graemlins. :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.