Big Grin

I got a call last night for two swarms of bees hanging on a tree. I found two very distinct clusters hanging only six inches apart. One was about the size of a large football, the other was about the size of a honeydew melon.

I shook them both into a box and went back later and found two queens. I've heard of afterswarms, but never side by side (Repeat....six inches away) with the primary swarm. From the looks of it, both queens appear to be about the same size, but a few days will reveal which is the "real momma".

Regards,

Jim

------------------
    http://www.emeraldridgeapiary.net

Was the swarm located in or around an apiary with more than one hive? I ask because last year I had one hive start swarming and another hive minutes later, swarmed with it almost as if getting caught up in the moment. Both swarms rested within 2 feet of each other. Up 40 ft however, being bad for me. It seems that the second hive would of swarmed on its own but was triggered by the frenzy of the first. The swarms left at different times so I know they both had queens.

The swarms were located in town...perhaps miles from any colonies I know of. Kinda neat, I think.

Jim

------------------
    http://www.emeraldridgeapiary.net

This spring I had an interesting experience with 2 swarms. I happened to see bees swarming at my hives, when they landed, I noticed two separate swarms about 20 feet apart. I decided to box the lowest one first, which had clustered on an old pipe about three feet off the ground. The bees went right into the hive and as they were settling in, the other swarm took flight, landed on the hive box and combined with the first swarm. So I'm thinking that it was one swarm that had split itself in two and I was lucky enough to box the one with the queen in it first. If I had started with the other, it probably would have been a real hastle to catch the swarm...

Alethea

------------------