I am getting ready to do an extraction on a colony that has been in the wall of a house for five years. I thought that they must have died out a few times and that other swarms moved in, but the owner says he has not noticed any time that bees have not been in that wall since they first got in there. Two other beeks have tried to lure the bees out without success. The bees are in an interior wall that is accessable to a whole in the outside wall. The owner was at first worried about getting them out because he said they where noisy. After the two beeks could not get them out and neither would cut out, he cut a 4' x 4' hole on the out side wall revealing the comb and spayed a whole can of bee killer in there. He said it just made the bees very mad and for several days it was the loudest buzzing he had heard so far. That was two years ago and the bees are alive and well. I went out and checked on them today and all the comb towards the front of the colony is empty, but they can be heard when you bang on the wall on the inside.
    Considering the abuse they have endured is it unlikely that this is the same colony for five years? I would have thought that the beekiller would have at the very least made them abscond.
    http://s14.photobucket.com/albums/a3...t=100_0146.jpg
    http://s14.photobucket.com/albums/a3...t=100_0145.jpg
    These are the pictures I took of the hole in the wall from the outside.

[size="1"][ February 23, 2007, 02:27 PM: Message edited by: bluegrass ][/size]
    Always question Conventional Wisdom.

The second picture looks like wax moth cocoons that are propolized over. Indicates that some of the colony died back if not the whole thing. I would guess they died, were overrun with wax moths, and at a later time a colony(swarm) moved back in.

blue; i have removed bee from homes and all types of walls, if the bees can they will move back in the wall or ceiling and when the spray dissipates they will return, the honey or some of it is capped and ok for them to eat.so they dont kill the hive.

blue; i have removed bee from homes and all types of walls, if the bees can they will move back in the wall or ceiling and when the spray dissipates they will return, the honey or some of it is capped and ok for them to eat.so they dont kill the hive.

That is what I am thinking. I am hoping that once I get the wall opened up that there is some signs left over in the comb. The pictures are of the inside of the exterior wall where the owner of the house cut the siding off. The 2x4 is the end of the interior wall that they are in. The house is old so that the verticals are every 4 ft. instead of the standard 16 inch. It might be possable that the bees moved to the back end of the cavity and the moths overran the front. At first I thought they where dead out or gone as there are no signs of living or dead bees at the entrance and it was 45 deg. today. When I went in the house and pounded on the wall I could hear them way at the back near the vertical joist. I am excited to get started this year, but am going to wait another 4-5 weeks to get some warmer weather and some blooms. I did place a swarm trap out there just in case. Two years out after the pesticide treatment I should not have to worry about side effects right? Would you requeen right after the extraction?

[size="1"][ February 23, 2007, 03:28 PM: Message edited by: bluegrass ][/size]

blue; after i remove the bees ,i add some brood of all ages on the same frame, if you have the queen she will start to lay in a day or to, if not the bees will try to make a queen and you can see the cell, remove the cells and all a queen or let them rase there one.

an older beek told me to dust the inside wall with sulfur after removeing the girls,
    it seems to work well as a repealant
    you can find it at any drug store

Keep us posted. Later this spring I will be attempting my first cut out (barn wall, colony at least 5 years old) and would like to sponge up as much "experience" and handy tips as I can from others. I suspect your spring in Ky will arrive before mine in northern PA.
    “The keeping of bees is like the direction of sunbeams.” -Henry David Thoreau

hobie; how are you going to hive the bees?after you open the wall.maybe i can help.

I would say that our season is probably about the same as N PA. Maybe only a week or two difference. I do cutouts all year around if a person wants it done. I charge for emergancy and off season service. I try and stay just a little cheaper than the local exterminators. The cost usually convinces people that they can live with the bees for a few more months until I can do it for free.