I found a location for my bees. A co-worker said I could keep bees at his house. Very beautiful next to a wildlife preserve.

Anyhow, he has a flat garage roof where he said I could put hives or a side lot that gets partial sun due to dense tree growth on his property. The garage roof gets sun much of the day, but has a black rubber covering which I assume will become quite hot in summer. The other location will get much less sun.

If you were me where would you put the bees?

Thanks.

Ron
    Butterchurn<br /><br />Diplomacy is the art of saying \'Nice doggie\' until you can find a rock. <br /><br />Will Rogers

IMO- the roof location sounds hot. If you went with open(screened) bottom board and a ventilated inner cover you might get away with it.
    Does the roof have stair access? If not, I wouldn't climb a ladder with hives or full supers.
    Todd Zeiner

I'm no expert, but I'd choose the ground over a roof any day. I've had to tote full supers before and getting them off a roof would seem difficult at best and probably dangerous. I'd recommend finding the best possible spot in the side lot and deal with the sun light issues. Will the owner allow you to trim trees/shrubs to your advantage? JMO

Cheers,
    Fred

I keep all of my hives on rooftops . have been raided by bears and have had total losses.
    Roofes can get warm, can be an advantage in early spring.Defenatly need shading in mid summer.
    Another advantage is their flight patterns are high enough not to bother my kids.

Has good points and bad but I know my bees will be there in the morning.
    scott

I have been tempted to put bees on the roof of my garage as I am in the city and that would keep them up out of the way of my fellow city dwellers. Seems like a lot of trouble to cary all the supers up and down laders and what not.

The roof could work, but make sure you plan for safty. They would need to be shaded on the hottest days, and I wouldn't think about working them without gear. No way to make a hasty retreat if they get cranky. If you go with the ground location, protect from bears on day one, if not in advance. They are all over up here, Even if your co-worker has never seen them. We border Carlos Avery, and have seen the tracks in the fields before we plant them, right up into the barnyard almost. The neighbor had one challenge his electric fence around his bees last summer, and I have had one in my backyard.

Supers and hives could be moved up and down from the roof via a swing are hoist just like in and old hay barn. Wouldn't cost too much to construct either.
    If there are no other concerns I'd take the ground though.

The lifting and the heat would be my two concerns on the roof. But obviously, it has been done.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

&gt;&gt; If there are no other concerns I'd take the ground though.

I have agree with this comment. The extra warmth of the roof might have an advantage in the spring and fall, but I can't imagine bees (or me) being able to cope with a black roof in full sun during the heat of summer.

Chellesbees,
    My co-worker lives on the boundary of Carlos Avery! He has a Forest Lake address. So I guess bears will be an issue.

The garage roof has a staircase going up to it from the ground. Safer than a ladder, but I will have to watch it when carrying heavy equipment. If the bees get nasty, I can make a quick retreat down the stairs.

How might you provide the shade?

Thanks!

Ron
    Butterchurn<br /><br />Diplomacy is the art of saying \'Nice doggie\' until you can find a rock. <br /><br />Will Rogers

try spreading white gravel under and around the hives. This would reduce the heat around the hives themselves, and probably keep the building cooler too!

justgojumpit