Thread: walk away split

Question

I've hived a swarm that I caught back in mid-april.I gave them 1 frame of brood & the rest was on foundation.since I've had to add another brood box(foundation).they filled that up,I've added 3 shallow super's with drawn comb,here's the problem.When I checked this weekend they are busting over with bee's & have started building swarm cell's all over the bottom of the frames.I removed 1 frame that had 3 capped queen cell's & placed it in another hive that is queenless & cut-out the other cell's.these bee's has alway's been easy to work with until now.I don't think I've ever seen a hive so mean(I started to call the fire Dept.cause I was thinking of fire).now back to my ? since they have it to swarm would'nt I be better off to split them anyway?.And if so what would be the best way without finding the old Queen?as I said they are ALOT of bee's & mean.How about the walk away split? if so please tell how 1 more time.>>>>>>Mark

I posted this and asked if anyone had better ideas how to deal with a vicious hive, but my idea, which worked rather well, was at first I just split the whole thing up willy nilly without trying to find anything.

I just put five frames in each nuc until the hive was broke up. Then I walked away. The next day I came back and looked through each five frame nuc for the queen. Much easier to handle five frames of vicious bees instead of 20 or 30 frames of them. Then you can decide how you want to split things up. I'd put a frame with one or more queen cells in each split and some capped brood and some stores. Everything else doesn't matter much unless you want to slpit it up into more pieces than you have frames with queen cells. Then I'd put a frame of eggs or just hatched larvae in them. If you want to keep the queen you may, but if you want to dispose of her, just pinch her or put her in a jar of alchohol for use a pheromone later, and make sure that nuc has some eggs. If you don't have nucs and don't want to split it that much, then do them as five frames to a 10 frame box the first day. Look for the queen and rearange the next day as 10 frame boxes with either a queen cell or just hatched larvae. and some stores and some capped brood in each split. Fill in with a few empty frames for extra room.

I like breaking the viscious hive up into really small nucs because it takes a while for them to calm down and the smaller are more managable. Mine that I split several weeks ago are still not gentle, but not quite as viscious. I'm sure it was genetics or they would have calmed down now that they all have good laying queens.

Thank's Michael: I'll give it a try tomorrow,Do you think I'll be better off to move the nuc's to another location or just leave them next to the main hive?

When I got done there was no main hive. Just nucs where it used to be. That's what I'd do.