Is there anyone in PA, that will be taking advantage of this 40+ degree weather, and slapping on some pollen patties?

I put a couple on in the middle of doing some other things. Didn't have alot of time, but will start the next week as temps permit.

Yea i was going too but it seems that my girls has beaten me to the punch today it was a small dark cloud bees coming and going. Half with pollen and the other half with nothing but thier rear ends was swollen so i guess they were gathering water and nector because they could not even make it back to the hive before falling to the ground and resting. so i will make some pollen patties tomarrow and maybe feed my weak hive so they will have something to feed brood.

Tom

[size="1"][ February 20, 2007, 10:33 PM: Message edited by: thomas ][/size]

Put some FeedBee in the hives a couple weeks ago before the snow/ice covered the ground.. they were bringing pollen in then. It'll take a week of warm weather before we can see some bare ground.

I walked down to the hives this morning and had to dig the open feeder out of 6 inches of ice/snow.

Last week I could easily see(because of the ice covered snow).. that the birds were eating bees. Little spots(made up of wings,legs,bee pieces) on the snow all around the hive. I guess the birds eat what they can when the ground gets covered w/ snow.

Weather permitting, I'm going to try feeding this weekend or early next week.

Put some honey on the hives today though only one hive was short on stores. Bees flying all over .
    Suprised that they already had a rather large brood nests and lots of pollen coming in today...maple I guess, I was suprised since we are just comming out of this deep freeze. All colonies look very strong and the overwintered four frame nucs (4) I set up last summer as an experiment are going strong too. [img]smile.gif[/img]
    I had a 50% death rate, (7 of 14) but lost none since early Dec. I believe to starvation and deform wing due to varroa.
    Steve<br /><br /><a href=\"http://www.cozynestfarm.com\" target=\"_blank\">www.cozynestfarm.com</a><br /><br />All that\'s golden must be honey

I lost one hive during that cold spell. They were the bees I got on my very first wall extraction this past Spring. They were alive two weeks ago. Looks like they were caught in a bad spot when the cold spell hit. There was honey right above them in the upper box, and 5 frames of honey on the opposite side. They just couldn't get to it. Bees were face down in the cells. 8 of 9 are still alive and most are nice size clusters.

I am glad everyoone is having some luck with thier bees. Mine are working like gang busters bring in pollen and nector i could hear two of my hives on the inside of the entrance fanning so that is a good sign. And my first hive has plenty of drones flying i was glad to see these fat guys out looking aronud they are huge brown and solid black on the ends so i guess this is what carniolan drones look like but other then that everything looks well.

Tom