Thread: Follower Boards

Anybody out there using a standard deep hive body for a nec's box by using follower boards to reduce the size for 4 or 5 frames.
    Dale in S. E. Ks

Hi,

Yes. Now I just put foundations around the nuc in a full deep so I can just move and put on a stand in the spring for increase. Speeds things up. But depends if you are to make increase or just wintering queen to requeen with.

Clay

I have some of the plastic follower boards from Brushy Mt. and I make my own from 1x12's. Somehow the plastic ones don't seem real substantial, but they are very adjustable and you can put it on a regular botom board and get two 5 frame nucs out of it. I make my bottom boards to run so the entrance is the wide way so when I put in a follower it makes a dead space in the back. Of course you have to reduce the entrance, especially since it's so wide. I also make some four frame boxes that are exactly half the width of a langstroth. It makes a four frame nuc. With a regular bottom board and a 1x2 for a divider I can run two 4 frame nucs on one regular bottom board.