Well I knew it was only a matter of time before our neighborhood bear came for a visit. I was surprised to find the bear had dug under the electric fence to get in. I have now run a third wire and added bacon . Anyway he only was able to tip 1 out of 3 hives and I really didn't get hurt to bad, he managed to get only three frames out of 20 so it could have been worse.

I have put the hive all back together and will wait a couple of days to check for the queen, the question I have is due to the time of the year. If I find that the queen was lost is it to late to introduce a new one? Our daytime temps have been running in the 60's with nights in the 30's and 40's.

You're already queenless, but if you dequeen on a warm morning, (you can skip that step and the next one) wait a few hours, introduce the queen in a cage, wait a few hours and then release her, you could probably get away with introducing a queen. I think the problem will be finding a queen to buy.

[This message has been edited by Michael Bush (edited October 16, 2004).]

Their is a queen breeder in Oh that still has queens. Here is his e mail. tarheit@watchtv.net If they are truly queenless wait a few days before introducing the new one.

------------------
    Tim Gifford
    www.happbeehoney.net