I was searching for plans on SBB and came across this. I had mentioned in some other post this was my interest, but now that I see it is actually a practice, I'd like fresh opinions on doing this from scratch; this is my first year, call my ambitious (or crazy, either will do J).
    My present situation is I have 2 hives, each with one deep that I am in the process of adding the second deep to. These are new packages in second hand hives and I'm feeding them quite a bit to get the foundation built out, they are taking about a half gallon of syrup per hive per day.

Question is at this time of year, can I pull it off this season? Our winters are nothing like the majority of yours, most keepers around here seems to be able to get through on one deep and one shallow just fine. My vision is to build to 3 deeps and either 1 shallow or 1 medium for myself. I have about an acre and a half of crops getting ready to bloom and the hives are sitting right on the edge; mostly pumpkins, squash, beans etc.

I know lifting is sited as one of the issues, but at this point is a minor one to me. I'm in a rural setting and have no intentions of moving these colonies as long as they are viable, so it looks like I'm in good shape yes? Any words of wisdom for someone starting out fresh?

Hi,

Read here:
    http://wave.prohosting.com/clay2720/...g.htm/ULBN.txt

Don't force the bees to build up to 3 deep if they don't look like they will get there this year. Let them grow at there own pace. You can add the 3rd next year. As for one super? Well you should get the equivelent of at least 2 deeps per colony (5 shallow, 4 mediums) for starters.

Clay

Thanks Clay; I'm either too new or just don't get all the concepts as there seem to be finer management points here than I had thought, but the page is very helpful. I suppose the ABC XYZ would be a good reference to acquire?

How and where can I learn more about honey flows? There appear to be multiple ones from reading here and I have no idea where we are at for my area.

Round Top, New York - Northern Catskill Mtns.

How and where can I learn more about honey flows?
    There are a number of sources for information. The hive and the honey bee has a chapter on necter and pollen sources and very general blooming dates.
    You could also asking some of the members in your area to help out.
    Your local Ag dept or a local bee club would also be another source.
    You could also look around your area at what is in bloom and what bees are working to get an idea, and keep it in mind for next year.