Thread: Goldenrod...

Question

So how is everyone's Goldenrod flow going? Mine are packing it away. Stinky stuff.

Arrow

Check out the "what's that smell" thread

------------------
    Procrastination is the assination of inspiration.

Gary

It has a musty odor but smells like money to me! makes excellent comb honey because it comes in so fast.

I have an acre of the stuff and nobody's touching it! Not even the bumblebees who went crazy for it last year. What's up?

Here is Southern New Hampshire, we got one bumper of a crop going on. Asters are showing very good too. The yard wreaks of smelly old socks. I smell I've come to know and don't mind, in the apiary that is.
    I had put a few wet supers on my hives after extracting and the bees have store quite a bit up there now.

>>Here is Southern New Hampshire, we got one bumper of a crop going on. Asters are showing very good too. The yard wreaks of smelly old socks. I smell I've come to know and don't mind, in the apiary that is.

I'm about 45 or 50 miles Northwest of you and we didn't get anything on the Goldenrod this year. It seemed to flower early for us and there was not much nectar. Asters are going but I am leaving that for the winter feed right now. I'm glad someone got the flow, it by-passed us .

well my is just starting to bloom , got 10 acres of the stuff, didnt think it was going to ever come in this year, we were in a drought but Ivan gave us some rain now it starting to bloom.got home from work this morning , went out to look at the goldenrod and the one's that are blooming,some had some big green spider's waiting in ambush, had to blackflag them. lol (not with spray but a hot lighter)

I don't have a long history in beekeeping (2 years) but this year's goldenrod in Ohio is a sight to behold. The girls are doing summersaults on the landing board they are going in and out so fast. A total frenzy. Two brood boxes and a medium super were practically empty a week and a half ago...yesterday they were over 60% full of stores. What a stench when they set to fanning! I'd say it's a mix of fermented butterscotch, sour milk, and the offensive line of the Cleveland Browns.

Glenn Guest

Goldenrod in central Ohio has revved up all of our hives. We are having a bumper crop this year after starting out a bit slow. Going plant some mountina mint on the property next year as I hear some folks are getting great results from it?

Glenn
    eBeeHoney.com

It looks like we're over the hump on the goldenrod here in Northeastern Ohio. Most of it's browning off and the yard doesn't smell anymore.

Odd thing...we have two hives in South Amherst and two in N. Ridgeville. All face east and are set side-by-side. The northern-most hives in both locations seemed to be very disinterested in the goldenrod. Whereas the southern-most hives were like rush hour traffic for the past couple of weeks with big yellow smears all around the brood chamber holes from the large amounts of pollen being brought back. Go figure.

Cheers,
    Doug