This is just about the end of the almond bloom for 2004.It started cold and rainy and ended warm and in the 80's.The bees look good for the most part,and in fact some are getting swarmy.We are going to start moving hives tonight.The next 2 weeks will see a lot of hives leaving Cal. and heading home to other states.Today is the last bloom report for the Blue Diamond website: http://www.bluediamond.com/growers/f...m?l_location=1

---Mike

Mike are there any migraters that will be passing through arkansas on I-30 or I-20 in lousisana that might have some hives for sell?

Smile

Mike - It sure was a lot easier moving hives out of the Almonds than moving them in. Lot less mud. From there we moved in to the Prunes.

------------------
    If a job is worth doing - Then do it well

Smile

Mike,

I'll be heading out there on April 2 to make nucs so keep the warm weather there (maybe a little cooler would be OK). How'd your bees fare in the almonds? Did they gain any weight, or need to be fed? Where do yours go from the almonds?

------------------
    Gregg Stewart

Hi all,just got in this morning(Sunday).I looked closer at some of the trees that seemed to still have bloom.but they were just petals hanging on ready to fall.So its all over.You are right,Rob,everyone seemed to be going to prunes which just started.Gregg, most of the hives I moved were so heavy with almond honey,they would need supers right away to hold any prune honey.Some of the hives were fed earlier when it was raining so hard,but as it turned out,needlesly.We are going to manzanita next.

>any migraters that will be passing through arkansas on I-30 or I-20 in lousisana that might have some hives for sell?

I sure dont know,but I hear bees are in short supply in Texas,because of all the rain.Thats as close to you that Ive heard anything about.

---Mike

[This message has been edited by loggermike (edited March 14, 2004).]

awww come on Mike......no good stories to tell??

you didnt get stuck in the mud or have anything slide off the truck into the median of the road? how about get the truck hit by lightning?

Yea mike the rain has been bad here also.8 inches in feb.We where hoping to get some splits after the almond bloom ,but our contact out there said he was not finding any due to the shortage cause by fires out there.

>awww come on Mike......no good stories to tell??
    Well, we did pry off 200 nailed on bottom boards and set them on clip pallets right after moving them .All I can say about that is the bees bitterly resented every bit of it!
    I only flipped one hive and that was this morning while unloading.

[This message has been edited by loggermike (edited March 14, 2004).]

Hi Mike: What do you think the avg. was this year for rent per hive.

I would guess around 54 plus or minus a few bucks, for pre-contracted hives of 8 frame average.

Question

Mike,

Do they (or can they) make much honey off manzanita?

------------------
    Gregg Stewart

Sure, a strong hive can make a couple of supers IF the weather co-operates(ha ha).Mountain spring weather is fickle,70 degrees one week,2 feet of snow the next.