Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

I got a bunch of feral survivor bees. Some are very gentle and some are downright vicious. It's quite a contrast. It makes you appreciate the gentle ones. It also makes me requeen the mean ones.

Installed queen cell's in a hive that was queenless.went back in the hive a few day's later to see if it has hatched,( there was 3 cell's I installed on the same frame).1 cell had been chewed from the side,But the biggest one looked as it has hatched.the Bees is VERY mean.they are meaner now than they was before I gave them the cell.Is it normal to be that mean when they have a vir-queen? the time frame it has been I don't think she has mated yet.

>Bees is VERY mean.they are meaner now than they was before I gave them the cell.Is it normal to be that mean when they have a vir-queen? the time frame it has been I don't think she has mated yet.

Being docile and being mean are often from the same cause at a different stage of the game. Being queenless can make a hive very mean. Until the new queen is laying, they still kind of think they are queenless. Once she starts laying they may straighten out or may not.

I've noticed when just killing a queen and letting them raise an emergency queen it tends to leave them mean for a while afterwards. But then sometimes if they are queenless long enough they give up and get docile. It's the same with stirring up a hive. Bump a hive a couple of times and the bees get upset. Keep doing it and they get more upset. Put them in the back of a truck and drive them 40 miles down a country road and odds are they will be disheartened and docile when you get where you are going. It's just a progression from angry, to more angry to giving up.

My guess is your bees are still angry and will settle down some after the queen is laying and they have brood to care for and hope for the future of the colony.

some beekeepers may be too quick to requeen a mean hive.last year i had a hive go nasty on me,i found racoon tracks and found out that was the cause of their ire.nectar dearth,trouble with robbers,there are many reasons a good hive can seem to be in need of fixin.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123