Bet there are a lot of stories on accidents with capping scratchers, those things are sharp. I knocked mine off the kitchen counter just after cleaning the kitchen up from honey extraction, I had just removed my shoes as my wife had just scrubbed the honey drippings from the floor and the capping scratcher did more than scratch--it stuck in the top of my foot. After pulling the scratcher out it looked like a sewing machine had stitched across my foot. If you aren't making mistakes you aren't doing anything.
    "Younz" have a great day, I will.

Ouch!!! Sounds nasty.......

Ouch is right. Are you related to rwjedi?

Hawk
    KC0YXI

What is a capping scratcher used for?

Scratching cappings. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Mostly the low ones that the kife didn't get, but some people use them for the whole comb.

I always thought they tore up the cells too much. But maybe I never got the hang of it. I got better at using the point of the knife for the low spots.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

I think the best use for them (other than a lethal weapon) is to impale capped drone cells to inspect for mites. Slide it along the face of the comb into the drone cells and you pull out as many as a dozen larvae at a time. The mites are painfully easy to see.

Power Napper; I don't think I would have told one like that on myself......Ron

I know Ron C, but I am old enough to know better and still do embarrassing things. Hope you got a laugh out of it.
    "Younz" have a great day, I will.

Scenario: Reaching into a dish pan of water that had some of my extracting utensils.

Let's just say that the cappings scratcher doesn't feel good when you catch one or two under the finger nail.

Dan
    Dan Williamson
    B&C Honey Farm http://www.flickr.com/photos/9848229@N05/

Big Grin

I will give up my cappings scratcher when they pry it from my cold dead hand.

When capping scratchers are out lawed only outlaws will have cappings scratchers.

Scratcher control = scratching what you are aiming at.

uncletom

PLEASE NOTE:

the above was posted with the intent of humor. Please do not read if you are easly offended by sarcasim. No offence is intended.

ut

I use a capping scratcher for all my uncapping, but am convinced it is only a matter of time before I slip and run the thing through my wrist. I don't think I would like any other tool any better though.

Never used one yet. But wouldn't having the teeth slighly curved give a safer point??

And should be easier on the wrist if the angle is more ergonomic.

I just used the squeeze and strain method this year as most the bees energy went to increase.