Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Filtering wax.

4K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  Dave W 
#1 ·
I've got some beautiful cappings wax that I have a buyer for. The problem is that there are still a few dark spots where something didn't settle to the bottom. (I use a solar wax melter) I've run it thru a few time and have most of it out but want it as close to perfect as I can get it. Is there a way to filter it out? (ie. coffee filter? or would it just clog up with wax?)

Thanks,

Dan

#9 ·
Just another idea I use coffee filters for small amounts that i want very clean.I drop the filter in a Ball Canning funel and put that on top of a Mason jar in the oven.Another thing i have done i use paper filter we have at work in large rolls that is use for takeing grider grit off the coolent tanks.So if you know someone who works in a machine shop they may have some.

#12 ·
Greetings . . .
My 'best choice' filter is a nylon stocking. One layer usually works fine. But . . . if stocking is very clean, you may need two layers

Ive tried coffee filters too, w/ same results; they plug up and soak up a lot of wax. Stockings do not, as much.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.