Question

I want to combine two hive because one has a new Queen and a small nest but the other hive I screwed up some how and the new queen introduction failed so there is no queen now in a fair sized hive. The small hive is too small and I don't think it will build up enough b4 winter to survive. Which hive should I put on top of the newspaper.

Second question, I had a rather prolific queen last spring that seemed to never stop in brood rearing and the hive built up very rapid and actually swarmed shortly after I made a split the split had the old queen and I let the old hive raise a new queen. The new split was over a screened bottom board and this may be part of the answer but my question is why has the brood nest in the split with the old queen moved to the top box. The hive is two large boxes with a super and the new split had to draw out mostly all new comb.

I'd put the strong queenless hive over the weak queened hive. Don't really know if it matters though.

The other question I'm kind of unclear on. Are you asking why the queen moved to the top of the hive and they stored honey below the broodnest, instead of above?

MichaelW
    Yes, Why did the Queen move to the top box? Also why the stores of honey below the brood box and none or very little in the super?

>Which hive should I put on top of the newspaper.

I don't think it matters. But I tend to put the weak one on top of the strong one at the location of the strong one so less of the strong bees drift off somewhere.

>The new split was over a screened bottom board and this may be part of the answer but my question is why has the brood nest in the split with the old queen moved to the top box.

If there is no brood anywhere to create a "location" for the brood nest the queen will lay where ever the bees have prepared the cells for her to lay. By the time they raise a new queen all the brood usually has emerged so she can go where ever she wants. That was where she wanted to go. If I put bees in empty boxes they usually start at the top. If I put them on empty drawn comb they usually start at the top. I'd say that's pretty normal.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF