Hybrid View

I just extracted and have put the empty frames in a deep trash bag and then placed it into a freezer. How long do you keep the frames in the freezer? Then what?

George

Hi George,

Why did you put them in the freezer???

I have never put extracted frames in the freezer. Just stack them tight with lids. You need not put them in the freezer. Makes little difference if wet or dry.

Clay

Clay, I put them in the freezer because that was one of the suggestions from bee school. I think that it was meant to help kill off any mites that may be prsent. I was also told that camphor should be put in the bag after a few weeks in the freezer when moving the frames to a dry place.
    Hmmm, I have to figure out what to do.

Hi George,

Please don't waste your time putting extracted frames in the freezer. I manage 40 -50 colonies, how could I do this? Or large beekeepers? These are being stored over winter the mites won't survive this period. I believe they had wax moths in mind at bee school. I live in NY and use nothing for wax moths. You should be able to do this too. I do this with 100's of supers. Just stack them high and place lid on top of stacks. Never use camphor it is illegal. You must mean moth crystals. Why use ANY chemicals if you don't have too? There is enough in hives as it is. I would worry more about mice ruining combs then anything else. Just stack supers tight with lids. Deal with problems when you have them. Stacking supers tight and using lids on the stacks will work just as well as the chem's sold. If you lived in the south the situation would be a bit different as wax moths are a larger problem there.

regards,

Clay