Thread: Fall Management

Here in Massachusetts I am wondering about a few things. I have just removed my honey super and today I put in four apistan strips in each of the deep brood chambers. I am told that it is to late for camphor, so someone suggested a can of crisco mixed with sugar spread along the tops of the frames. Any thoughts on this??

When should I remove the Apistan strips?

George

Hello George,

I started keeping bees from a package this spring, and have kept a grease patty on the top of the frames in the bottom brood box since I added the top box. From all I have read and been told it is really effective in treating tracheal mites, and can be kept on year round. The recipe I use is 1 lb. Crisco mixed with 3 lbs. sugar to yield 12 patties. I make each pattie pretty flat and place it on top of the lower frames, and simply place another when needed. I have also read that the shortening needs to be Crisco brand. As far as the Apistan goes, I am treating with two strips in each brood box and plan to remove them after eight weeks, per the package directions. It has been stressed to me to not leave them on too long or the mites could develop a resistence to them. This has apparently been a big problem in some parts of the country. I am new at this this year, so maybe someone with more experience can give you some better advice.

Good luck,
    Rick

You guys might wanna check out the posts in the fgmo area of this sight. It has alot of good info on treating for both types of mites that are plagueing us these days. As far as using 4 apistan strips in each brood box this is NOT right please read the directions on the box & follow them closely. You are only suspossed to use 2 / brood box or 9 frames of brood. It's imparritive that the directions for the use of chemicals be followed to the letter.
    thanks & good luck. Richard

Arrggghh, the bee school said to place four Apistan strips in each of the brood chambers, two on the fourth frame and two on the eighth frame. So I placed four in each of the brood chambers. What should I do...is it to late to remove them?? I just put them in this past Saturday. Advice??

Hi,

Wow! Get out there and pull some of those strips. It's not to late just remove excess. That stuff is poison you know to much and you can hurt you bees too! Just get it to the proper dose ASAP. You may have apistan resistant mites in your area. Best to start thinking how to get your bees off dopes.

Clay

I would like to ask just what the name & address is for this so called Bee school is that you went to. I have a few opinions of mine i think they might like to read.
    Richard

I do have to say there were a few tips from "bee school" that have not fully been correct. I am grateful for the fact that there are many willing posters here that can give excellent advice.

Update: Tonight...raining heavilly and quite humid, I managed to remove two of the extra Apistan Strips. I was unable to get into the lower brood chamber until the weather clears a bit. I was met with many angry gals. It may be two more days until I can get into the lower brood chamber to remove the extra Apistan.

Thanks for all the advice thus far.

Four strips per broodbox is the rate for Bayvarol. It's a closely related chemical, but the application is different.

Regards,

Robert Brenchley

RSBrenchley@aol.com