Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

I've had nothing above the entrance and the rain has been getting inside the entrance and bees were drowning etc

I took popsicle sticks and cut them to my liking, taped three sticks end to end, making it flexible so it would become a triangle.

I used one on each side of the box and stuck them on the wood with tacky sticky stuff. That stuff you get in the office supply place.

Then I taped waterproof fabric over this and taped it down on the sides.

It's suppose to rain tonight and I'll get to see how it worked.

This was stuff I had laying around the house......

.i would maybe prop up the back an inch or more so the water would drain out.

BILLY BOB Guest

>I've had nothing above the entrance and the rain has been getting inside the entrance and bees were drowning etc

Daisy, is the rain getting into the hive? What direction is the hive facing? Do you have the hive tilted forward?

BB

Wink

shhhh guys.... it's just Daisy "experimenting" again...

>I took popsicle sticks and cut them to my liking, taped three sticks end to end, making it flexible so it would become a triangle.

I used one on each side of the box and stuck them on the wood with tacky sticky stuff.

Then I taped waterproof fabric over this and taped it down on the sides.

What are you doing? Making little boats for your bees?

Bill

BILLY BOB Guest

stop Bullseye....You're killing me! lol

BB

It may not matter as much with the screened bottom boards, but with a solid one, I've always tried to make sure the hive was sloped a little to the front to let the water drain. Unless you're facing into a strong wind the water should be going in the entrance. And if you are, facing a strong wind, you need to turn the hives so they don't face the wind.

Smile

Hi all, Daisy has a point because my SBB is sloped to the front and there is still moisture on it. In their hurry to get out and down from the slatted rack my girls are flat on their back with their wings stuck in the small puddles. Maybe a small sheet metal roof held on with one of those adjustable nylon loading straps from Harbor Freight would do?

Yes, I have my hives tilted forward a few degrees with pieces of wood under the back but water still gets onto thier porch and I saw bees drowned on the porch and some were dead clinging to the front wall.

I supposed the best thing is to have a little overhang above the entrance. I hasn't rained yet. ;(

The bees were coming home from the fields yesterday and rather then going straight in they hovered around their hives checking out the strange new apperatus (sp) attached to their house. LOL

They were all thinking "What the heck has she done to us now!"

;^)

Bullseye, No I'm not making them little sail boats.....

I just went outside to have coffee with my bees and learned that it indeed had rained through the night and they're were no drowned bees around the entrances.

So my overhang worked.

Na na na na naaaaa

I know you're right, Micheal! ;^)

I dusted the floors this morning for as far as the feather would reach. They have pieces of papertowel droppings etc.

I used the stuff on paper towels this time.

I learned that no matter how hard they try, they can't sting a feather.

ROFL!!!!

I just love serendipity, don't you? ;^)

I tell ya, I've invented so many things, and just love to solve problems. I invent small nitch items and have never made a dime from my ideas. I just enjoy experimenting and making prototypes and such as that. I shared on of my ideas with a company and never did anything with it, and many years later I saw it. Bummed me out.

Oh Well, I do what pleases me and trying to find a way to help bees is my latest passion.

I got back on because I wanted to answer another kind persons question about the direction I have my entrances.

They are all faced east south east. When the water comes down in buckets, water still gets in the hive entrances. But the shelter has solved that issue for the time being.

I broke down a hive today to check my queens progress (everythings fine) and the little attached shelter moved right along just fine. I put it back together and everything stayed intact.

Next year I'm going to paint all the hives a different color and decorate their little front yards. It's going to be so cute I may have to invite the classes at the local schools to bring classes over to show them off.

;^)

Thanks again Coyote for the kind words...

i've seen pictures of long rows of hives under primative sun/rain shelters,just a straw or tin roof .

>Next year I'm going to paint all the hives a different color and decorate their little front yards. It's going to be so cute I may have to invite the classes at the local schools to bring classes over to show them off.

I can see it now. Tiny little trees, flowers, and shrubs, park benches and little people. Children playing on the tiny little park playground equipment with little dogs and cats chasing each other... The sno-cone man serving little grease patties and essential oils to the bees... oh, and little row boats...

Close Bill. LOL

There will be little house numbers on the outside and each entrance will have something different to keep down grasses and maybe miniature fake trees/bushes on each side......

It should be cute....

And one of those small 3 bedroom frame houses built in the fifties, on the rez with the kids, their mom and dad and uncles and aunts and cousins and grampa and grandma and great grandma and 7 dogs and 5 cats and a tipi and a sweat lodge out back and an arbor out front and a horse and three broken down cars in various states of dissemblage in the side yard...

Here's the local neighborhood: http://www.beecity.net/

>"...on the rez..."
    >I keep meaning to ask you if you've run across NA beekeepers. I'm thinking it would be a wonderful adjunct to the big farm the Navajo have here.

I don't know any American Indians that are raising bees. It seems like a natural for them. Most tend to be aware and in tune with natural things and the bees are tolerant of running off for Pow-Wows and funerals, unlike milk cows who want to be milked twice a day no matter what.

>Here's the local neighborhood: http://www.beecity.net/

That should give Daisy enough ideas to last a few months.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast