Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Wrapping

Some say the hives leave broodless, for it makes sence being in complete darkness. Otheres claim the bees will brood all the same,

A studdy up here on formic acid treatmetn to hives within the confines of a wintering shed showed that in one situation, where they basically gassed off a studdy chamber to determine the formic tolerance on the bees, showed dead hives with brood present in them. So, that said, I think they do brood within the chamber later in winter. What triggers it, I dont know.
    Swarm-trapper has suggested that fellow beekeeper he has talked to will promote brooding with humidity levels in the chamber.

I have limited experience with indoor wintering.

Last year, due to a very unusual weather year, I had caught many small late season August swarms. They entered the chamber hardly bigger than a softball. I kind of wrote them off,set my temp, and forgot about them til mid Feb. or so. They had at least doubled, some trippled in size. I actually lost some to starvation that winter due to my lack of judgement. I had no idea they would grow as sutch. I dont disturb the colonies after setting them out, so I dont know if there was brood present or not. But I can only guess that there was.

Anyhow, not to say this always happens. Perhaps there was an external factor that I was not aware of that caused this pleasent fortune.
    Could of been the extreemly high amount of pollen collected late that fall, I know I greatly affected the growth of my outdoor wintered hives.

Any Ideas?
    Ian Steppler >> Canadian Beekeeper's Blog
    www.stepplerfarms.com

overwintering colonies in darkness sounds like it could bee a good idea if it limits the brood alittle I guess that would mean less honey consumed by the bees.I always woundered how the bees would know how the days where getting longer if they are in the winter cluster.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345