Thread: equalilzing

Hi, I have a hive or two that are weak... I want to take some frames of brood/bees from a strong hive an place it into the weaker hives... My question is:

Do you just take the frame with brood and bees and move it from a to b? what is the recommended method? I just have a vision of my last free release of a queen when they balled her and killed her within seconds.... do the new bees try to kill the existing (weak hive) queen? or do they just sort of hang out/yada yada?

Thanks for the advice.

D in the burgh

Hi DRJKB--In the afternoon when the bees are foraging is the time to move brood frame with bees attatched to a weaker hive. Make sure that you don't errantly take the queen from the strong hive though. Hope this helps.
    "Younz" have a great day, I will.

Hi napper,

do you spray the frame with sugar water (the one being moved into weaker hive)? you don't worry about the new bees killing the existing queen? or the existing house bees attacking their new hive mates? they sure are protective at the entrance [img]smile.gif[/img]

D in the burgh

I mist my frames with diluted sugar water. By the time the bees clean themselves off, they will have merged with the colony.
    Ian Steppler >> Canadian Beekeeper's Blog
    www.stepplerfarms.com

I do not worry about bees killing the queen. I shake the population at the entrance and they walk in. If done during a honey flow, no problems. In the spring generally no problems, in the fall it's a different story.

Jean-Marc

DRJCKB-At this time of the year the frame of clinging bees is young bees, using the afternoon scenerio, the bees don't seem to mind at all. If there were a problem--loud roar of wings and bees fighting just smoke rather heavily--that will calm them down and straighten things out. The bees will not kill your queen--at least none of mine ever did! [img]smile.gif[/img]
    "Younz" have a great day, I will.

thanks!

Equalization should be done in every apiary. We do it as an annual manipulation and consider it one of the most important we do. Transferring frames is a not the way to go as proven by in depth study of disease prevention. We pick a warm day with a good nectar flow and then switch location between strong and weak hives. The field workers coming in laden with pollen and honey will quickly be accepted by the weaker hives and loss of this field force will be little felt by the strong hive with plenty of hatching brood and stores. It also will help curb swarming do to a temporary sense of depopulation.

It has greatly helped with seasonal hive management and increased overall production for us.