I am about to add a new queen to my hive, I have a double hive body currently with a medium super on top. After reading the post re: double vs. single I think I want to go with one deep hive body and then supers, If I split the hive now and add two new queens will this affect my honeyflow. Or should I wait until after the honey flow to do the split. Thanks for the help.

Yes it will have an impact on honey production. The old saying is true " one strong hive will out produce two weak ones".

Splitting depends on the question of do you want to sacrifice honey for ensuring bees are prepared with enough stores for winter. I'm not sure about your weather/winter, but I would guess you could get a nice earler honey crop, then they would have time to draw another box (after splitting) for winter. Feeding after the split is also recommended if they are also drawing comb through the midddle of the summer.

You can be successful either way you choose. Just decide if honey now is worth feeding later.

Question

I'm running a hive with (1) brood box and (1) medium for brood. Last Saterday I noticed a couple of swarm cells (the hive is exploding) I have supers on as well. I was unable to make a split that day. So I put another brood box with drawn frames on and cut out the swarm cells.

Today I picked up a queen from my local supplier. 1) How long can I keep the queen in the cage before I make this split?

2) What is the best way to make to split this hive?

Take some bees and the old queen like a fake swarm and requeen the old hive.

Suggestions?

I would take an extra brood box, take 3 or 4 frames of brood and eggs, move them to the new box. You can leave the bees on the frames, but make sure you don't have the queen. If you are unsure of where the queen is, you can brush the bees back into the existing hive.Replace the missing frames with foundation or drawn comb. Then place an excluder on top of the existing hive. Set the new brood box, with the 3 or 4 frames you took, on top of the excluder. Next place the remaining frames in the second box with foundation or drawn comb to fill in the missing frames in the new box. Leave for the night. The nurse bees will move up to take care of the brood. The following morning, go and remove the top brood box, put a bottom board on it, put the new queen in the box, and put on the lid. You will not have to worry about the bees going back to the parent hive, becuase they are nurse bees they have not been out of the hive, therefore they would not know how to get back to the parent hive anyway.

You have know split your hive successfully.

Some other people will have different ideas, and they may work better than this.

Thesurveyor

[This message has been edited by thesurveyor (edited May 15, 2003).]

beekeeper:

#1-I do not hesitate keeping a queen for up to 5 days. Give a drop of water a couple times each day. After that I start worrying.

#2- let me start by saying that I'm surprised by how many beekeepers cut out queen cells, then turn around and wish to make a split anyways. You can just divide the two existing brood boxes with one having the old queen, if healthy, and the other box place the queen cells. Remove all queen cells from the box with the queen.

This will usually open up the brood area and stop swarming but not always. But of course, cutting out swarm cells do not eliminate it completly anyways.

At this point, just split the boxes and add the queen to the queenless half of the split.