Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Kansas
    Posts
    1,262

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Nehawka, Nebraska USA
    Posts
    45,313

    Post

    I never had a bee fly in my ear, but I have had a fly in my ear. I had a friend who had a june bug in his ear. I can understand why.

  3. #3

    Post

    When I was younger and with my dad at one of his bee yards, I did have a bee get in my ear. My first instinct was aaaaahhhhhhh. Then I got stung. My face got swollen and I got to miss several days of school. My Dad still laughs about that. He said people surely heard me for miles away.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Nehawka, Nebraska USA
    Posts
    45,313

    Post

    I'm guessing my first instinct would be to get it out at all costs, but probably the smart thing would be to stay calm and hope it comes back out on it's own without stinging.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Kiel WI, USA
    Posts
    2,369

    Big Grin

    I think I'd want some FGMO handy!

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Nehawka, Nebraska USA
    Posts
    45,313

    Post

    FGMO. Sounds like the tool for the job.

  7. #7

    Post

    Is it true that clay drying on a sting will draw out the venom?
    How about vinagre/baking soda, or othr pH alterations to denature the venom enzyme/ protein?
    What do you do if you get stung?

    Brian Cady

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Nehawka, Nebraska USA
    Posts
    45,313

    Post

    >Is it true that clay drying on a sting will draw out the venom?

    Yes, but its a bit slow at it.

    >How about vinagre/baking soda, or othr pH alterations to denature the venom enzyme/ protein?

    They all help a bit.

    >What do you do if you get stung?

    First I scrape out the stinger with my fingernail or a knife, if I can reach it.

    My remedies in order of preference depending on what is available:

    Plantain. There is probably some of this growing somewhere in your yard. Especially in high traffic areas. Pick a green leaf and rub it between your fingers to get the juice out. It is always pretty dry if you can't get any juice, you can chew it a little. Put it on the sting as a poltice or just rub the juice on it. This is the best and the relief is immediate.

    Tobacco. Take a bit of tobacco and add some saliva and make a poultice. It will draw out the poison.

    Asprin. Take an asprin and bite it and add some saliva and make a poultice. This will neutralize and draw out the poison.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Bartonville, TX USA
    Posts
    456

    Post

    A cotton ball soaked with ammonia will take the sting out in just a few minutes.

    I have taken to leaving the stinger in and not applying anything, at least for a few hours. Don't know if I am increasing my sensitivity or building resistance, but I think they hurt a lot less after the initial insult.

    I do use a little liquid benadryl lotion later for the swelling.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Ads