Thread: chalk brood

has anyone found a cure for chalkbrood? What do you believe causes it? why does it clear up when a good honeyflow starts? just wondering.

I've had chalkbrood in a few hives this year- the spores that cause it are around all the time and environmental conditions will trigger an episode- cold, wet weather, and poor ventilation all contribute to chalk, and a weak colony is more susceptable than a strong one because they have a hard time keeping the brood nest warm. In one case I actually rehived the bees into a 4 frame NUC for a couple of weeks. They're back in a deep now and doing well.

A good honey flow pretty much means you're having a stretch of nice clear sunny weather- just what it takes to help clear up chalkbrood.

George-
    Dulcius ex asperis

>a cure for chaulkbrood

Put the hive in the sun, give it adequate, but not excessive ventilation. It usually clears right up.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

Thanks all, and great link Terry.

I had a problem with chalkbrood this year in a new nuc. Following the advice of several on the board I made sure it had light and ventilation. It took a few weeks, but cleared up.

>What do you believe causes it?

I think it's a combiniation of things. Lack of heat, high humidity, too much or too little ventilation.

The "scientific" answer is the spore-forming fungus, Ascophaera apis. That's what grows on the brood under certain conditions.

>why does it clear up when a good honeyflow starts?

The weather warms up. It rains less. The bees get more active. Things change.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

Do what the bees do. When something goes wrong, change the queen. Seriously, some queens are prone to it. If the combs hold a lot of it scrap them and give new stuff. It's usually a spring problem but I have lost hives to it.

Dickm

thanks all,

Indeed it seems to be a spring problem. I winter my bees in the desert and when I bring my nucs up to Colorado in the spring ( early May) they seem to struggle with chalk brood. But as soon as the weather straightens out every thing that isn't dead, clears up.

cheers,

simplyhoney