Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Does anyone know of any packages of bees beeing sold in Indiana? I thought that I heard of a place in Banta??

Package bees, no.
    Nucs, yes.

Are you saying the store in Banta has nucs, not packages, available? Also, do you know their phone number?

Thanks!!

Sorry for the confusion.
    I don't know if Banta has packages or nucs but I know a beeman who sells nucs in Indiana.

graham's bee works in morgantown usually sells packages,roger goes down to georgia for them,the problem is, it's very iffy when you will get them.this year,i'm planning on driving down to kelley's in kentucky and pick some up myself.

roger and juanita graham,#317-422-1000.

theres a bee clinic may 29th in huntington indiana,hwy 9 and 200 south northwest conner, nucs will be avaliable,call to make orders 260-468-2657 after 8 o,clock,its free and there will be doing splits ,an teaching how to graft queens. dont forget to bring your suits, see ya there, raybo 1331

Thanks for the info!

I went to Mapquest to see where Jamestown is - near Indy. I just went through the same thing - trying to find package bee suppliers in Eastern Illinois / Western Indiana.

Here are some of the suppliers that I found:

Rich Trock (not sure of spelling) – Sullivan IL, 217 – 972 – 6299 (Cell); 217 – 543 – 3731; sells All American and Buckfast Bees. I talked with him about two weeks ago - he still had some packages available.

Perrysville IN (don't know his name) – 765-793-4035; He makes a trip to Baxley GA each year and picks up packages. He does this sometime around the first of April. I have ordered packages from him - but I believe he has already submitted his final order.

BANTA BEE SUPPLIES
    3551 N. Banta Rd.
    Bargersville, IN 46106
    317-422-9191
    Attn: Madonna Musgrave

She has package bees available in Mid-April. I have not talked with her but believe she is located south of Indianapolis.

I am sure that there are more - but this is the list that I came up with.

Her's another source of info you might be able to use if you don't allready have: http://indianabeekeeper.goshen.edu/contacts.html

This thread is really out of date. For 2006, Roger Graham is producing only Nucleus bees. I believe he may be the only nuc producer in Indiana to use Indiana Queens. As many of you are aware, there have been huge queen problems over the last few years. I suspect he may be the only nuc producer that has every single nuc inspected by the DNR as well. Roger sells out quickly.

Last Madonna Musgrave at Banta Bee Supply sold packages which I believe she got from Tracy Hunter. I don't know if he made them up or had trucked them in. I fully expect her to have packages for sale this year when she reopens in March or April.

Tracy Hunter has nucs for sale in 2006. He has an ad in the Feb 06 Indiana Journal found at www.HoosierBuzz.com

Last summer, one of the graduates of the Indiana Beekeeping School bought a nuc from an Indiana not mentioned so far in the Anderson area. When the bee nuc was handed over she was told, "These bees have mites, treat for them right away." I belive it's a huge mistake to accept such a deal, but she treated for mites immediately in the spring of 2005. Her honey season got off to a late start and was obviously poor. Her bees built up fine, and were populous in October and dead by Christmas. She did not treat for mites in the August as would be the normal pattern (if mites are detected by the IPM board) recommended by the Indiana Beekeeping School.

I'm under the impression that the supplier of the dying nucs was making them from his own (apparently mite-infested) splits with southern queens... and that could be part of the problem... poor queens from the south.

In regard to queen problems, they've been manifested for years. In 2004, many packages from many sources absconded within a few days of installation. I had reports on this from all over Indiana but also other states, such as Kansas. This was likely a problem with poor queens, poorly mated, not mated, and perhaps just poor genetics. There's much pressure on queen producers in the south to create more and more queens to sell.

PLEASE REMEMBER

Package and Nuc Bees coming into Indiana I believe still need an import certificate issued by the Indiana DNR. This includes if you're going to bring in bees from Kelley, Dadant, or if you're having them shipped in.

There is no charge for such a certificate, but it does require the vendor to have been inspected.

Full Hives coming into Indiana, even if they are your own, require an import certificate. This requires an inspection before they leave their previous out of state location.

ccrb-

You are right about the quaility of queens. I had two packages last year that had failed queens after a month or two. They offered to replaced the queens but at that point the season was lost.

I am heading towards requeening all my package's soon after they arrive. I truly belive queens raised from overwintered stock with strong genetics against mites is the way to go.

I wonder sometimes how much pride and quality you get from mass produced queens.

Think about it. You know how we handle our queens when he have to capture them for any reason?

I imagine the larger southern queen prodcers have to hire help during their busy times. Do the people they hire really have a true intrest in our queens future. I can just see them cramming the queens into those cages. It takes a gentle hand and experience. I hope I'm wrong, but it would be a neat experience to work with them and just see.
    Todd Zeiner

I raise queens in the south. I put the new queens in a 5 frame nuc and watch the pattern that the queen lays. if she does not come up to par I pinch her and install a new queen. I also have my bees inspected every year by the state of South Carolina and I ship a certificate with all my bees. I also pull my queens myself and cage them myself so that I know the queens will be ok when they are shipped to the customer. Just an opinion from a southern queen producer.
    Thanks Dwight
    If you see me running you had better be running too.

Not all southern queen producers subscribe to the "more is greater"
    As REDTRACTOR1, I also raise queens and in my opinion the customer gets a better queen that is raised in a 5 frame nuc. She is given the chance to lay out full frames of brood for evaluation, instead of a couple of 5"x 5" squares. It does no one service to send a queen that is not producing adaquite brood. I refuse to send out a queen that I would not put in my own production hives.
    Frank
    NC

Some nucs are set up this way. Some are just three frames of brood, two frames of honey and a brand new queen introduced just before the customer takes possession. And sometimes less.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

When I attend bee meetings in Indiana (havent been anywhere else), I hear everyone talk about using Apistan (lots of Apistan). No one (at meetings) seems to knows about or has heard of anything else.

I dont know whats right or wrong, but . . .

thanks again, MrBEE!

REDTRACTOR1 AND WG BEE FARMS:

I would like for you two to send me an email with phone numbers and address so I can order queens for my hives. I have two hives that are Italians and other hives that will have Carniolans. Do you sell packaged bees? Let me know,

Dan.
    Glad to be a part of this fourm

Daniel G,
    You can reach me at 864-859-4339 or DDPPORTER1 AT MSN DOT COM or my address is Dwight Porter 852 Earls Bridge Road Easley S.C. 29640 I am usually home after 3:00 pm everyday. I will be glad to help you anyway that I can
    If you see me running you had better be running too.

Daniel,
    My phone is 336-635-5821 or "wytgrp@netpath-rc.net". Home address P.O.Box 4563, 740 S.Fieldcrest Rd., Eden, NC 27289-4563.
    Usually available between between 8-9:30 pm
    NC Dept. of Agric. Inspection Permit #03-08
    NC Dept. of Agric. Permit to Sell Bees #03-33
    Frank Wyatt