Thread: Hive placement

Question

What do you consider in placing hives? Everything I read talks about air drainage, shelter, morning light, midday shading, etc., but every picture I see has hives stacked out in the open with more evidence of thought for convenience of the beekeeper than anything else. So, does it really matter, or should I just put them where they're easiest to get to?

------------------
    Tim Hammond
    Two Rivers, Alaska
    hammond@mosquitonet.com

Here's what I did, maybe it will help you.
    My property borders a neighbors field, so I placed my 2 hives so that they face south or southeast so the bees will get the morning sun. I also placed them behind a couple of small trees so that they will be forced to fly up to get over the trees. This will help prevent the neighbors from getting upset because they are constantly bothered by the bees flying by them. Place the hives back about 15-20 feet from the trees so they have room to come out of the hive and pull up. After they are high enough to fly over they trees, they will tend to stay at that altitude for travelling, which keeps them flying over the neighbors and not bumping into them. Also, I placed my hives on top of a couple of layers of concrete blocks to allow the snow to drift and to help my back during inspections/manipulations. I also set the blocks and hive bodies such that they are pitched forward slightly (1/4-1/2" per foot is good). This will allow any extra moisture in the hive to flow out the front entrance if necessary. I firmly believe that you want to take extra precautions when placing your hives so that you do not upset your neighbors. The bees won't care, but the neighbors could make life miserable if they are not happy. Another consideration is to place the hives so that the afternoon sun will be blocked during the summer. This could be accomplished by placing along the edge of a stand of trees. The trees will also help block the winter winds.

I hope this helps,
    Paul

Big Grin

Hi, I moved my bees this year and have them facing south on a pallet on blocks as I am tall. I was told quite adamently by bee societies that they should not be under trees as the dripping rain ( and we have a lot! ) can keep them active ( and stroppy) in the winter and risks starvation.

backyardbeefarmer Guest

Cool

Hi, I've centered my 2 hives in my yard(75ft wide). I made a platform from 4 railroad ties set half way into the ground. They face south with my back fence about 2ft behind and 6ft high, which doubles as a wind break.
    The neighbor behind has an acre+ lot, and grows a garden 75ftx50ft every year. He gives me fresh vegetables and I give him honey! Along with all the other gardens in the neighborhood(flower and vege.), I do very well. Good luck, Tom.

Hi.

My hive (soon to become several, I hope) is ten feet from what was a twelve to fifteen foot hedge, now down to four feet, facing southwest. I need to have the hedge up to about six feet to ensure that the bees fly above head level on my neighbour's allotment, but due to many years of neglect I had to cut it back hard to give is a chance to grow back properly. The roots are massive - the hedge was planted in 1840 - and it should be up to the height I want by midsummer. Meanwhile most of the bees fly over it at around six feet, with only a few lower.

They've been packing in the pollen since the weather finally warmed up about a week ago. I did a quick inspection this afternoon, taking advantage of the mild weather, and found brood over three or four frames - I don't know exactly as I don't see very clearly close up and I didn't want to mess about - but very little brood over about three days old, and a patch of sealed brood the size of my palm. Obviously they had a very small broodnest until the weather turned favourable, then expanded like mad.

Regards,

Robert Brenchley

RSBrenchley@aol.com

hi there,

i'm new in this forum, i haven't started yet in beekeeping. but i'm planning to have one in a nearby farm.

here is my question.
    1. is it possible to place a hive in a windy place?

2. can it be placed on a high area like a hill?

3. our place is prone to typhoon, will the bees be affected if you keep it inside a warehouse for at least 3 days?

thanks
    gabsky