Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sippybees, I hear you. And understand that the things you speak of happen all the time.

The only thing I will add, and not from an argument angle, is the splitting of the hives.

When splitting community property, items are not literally split down the middle. You do not split the car in half, or the house, dog, silverware, furniture, or anything else you can come up with. Items are given a dollar figure, and the "equity" is split on paper. One person gets one thing and the other is to get another thing untill all the items are split in value sense. The court figured, since she was not a beekeeper, and did not participate, than the best solution was for her to recieve half of the equity. I would question that many times the splitting of equity in this many comes down to something like...for equity he recieves in getting all the beekeeping operation, she recieves the car or some other compensation in the amount of half the bees equipment. Either there was not much equity in other items to accomplish this, or he chose to pay for them outright. Something in the bargaining process was missing from him or his attorney.

As to the comments about what someone does after the divorce, that thier option, choice and right. Does not come into play. Bad court deals are everywhere. Some do get taken. But all I'm referencing is this case that I know little of...is that the bee equipment was, under the circumstances given, split correctly. (although the value assigned the hives are in question)

[This message has been edited by BjornBee (edited September 13, 2004).]

Divorce issues nothwithstanding, I will repeat what I had discovered this Spring. I started with three new hives this year. I made the stand and bottom boards for each hive. For each hive, I purchased two deeps (kd that I nailed) plus frames with wax foundations, one medium plus frames with wax foundation (to use as honey supers), queen excluder, inner cover, outer telescoping cover, and 4 pound package of bees with marked queen. I also purchased a hive tool, smoker, beekeeper gloves, two veils (for one observer), two tyvek painter jumpsuits, gallon of base coat and gallon of top paint. My total cost was just over $1000.00 for three hives. A valuation of $350.00 does not sound too far fetched to me. I'll buy a $100.00 hive any day!!!! The bees alone cost me $63 for four pounds with marked queen.

You should'a bought bees from the guy my wife works for.....I think he sells a 3# package (actually it pushes 4#) for 37 bucks and I think that INCLUDES shipping... but of course at his prices, you gotta get your order in early... I sat in his house this spring and over 3-4 months I saw him turn down >20-30,000 dollars of orders simply because he could not make ENOUGH bees..
    I think he sold >5000 queens this last spring... and he has some awesome bees... hince the size of his business. He sells all over the world... he has an order for 1500 queens from a guy in Jordan this next April...is gonna be another busy spring. : )

>The price may not of been correct, but the decision the courts made were.

Oh so true in the eyes of the court.

But not in mine. After two years in a very nasty division of property we still do not have the ink on the deal. We presented photos and testimony to the court of all the items that she absconded with and the only property that was divided in the court was what I had in my posession.

What she took is hers, 58% of what she left is hers, and the lawyers have $45,000. in their pockets, and it still isn't over.

I'd say that $80 to $100 would be about right if the equipment is in real good shape and the boxes are full of bees. I consider used equipment at half the price of new.

It's hard for me to value bees very high when people pay me to take them.

Thanks for everyone's remarks and information. Maybe I should have titled the posting with the words " average price of bees and equipment, excluding divorce and court cases". Anyway, I do appreciate the thoughts given. I am not sure if I have the financial resources to buy additional hives this winter. Our 2nd child is due the end of October. Making my on splits and building my boxes may bee the way I go. It has worked so far this first year at it!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12