Thread: Finally Pollen

Exclamation

Finally the boxelder has popped and the girls are bringing in loads of pollen.

yeee haaaa
    Closing in on retirement.......

gosh sundance, with full supers here your girls must be a laggin'...

and ain't boxelder's a tree? now I don't remember ANY of those when I did my tour of duty in north dakota.

I only remember trees right around the houses when I was there But pelicans EVERYWHERE!

Odd, but true. Pelicans migrate through here, in Nebraska also.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 41y 200h 38yTF

Yep, a buddy and I left WI around midnight and got to ND as dawn was breaking, I was on no sleep and started noticing all these big, white birds wherever there was a pool of water, thought I was hallucinating for a while.

Loads of Pelicans, and Tundra Swans. Both gorgeous!!

Loads of trees here as I am on a lake. Most abundant are Boxelder which is a maple in reality.

Boxelder Aceraceae Acer negundo L.

Leaf: Opposite, pinnately compound, 3 to 5 leaflets (sometimes 7), 2 to 4 inches long, margin coarsely serrate or somewhat lobed, shape variable but leaflets often resemble a classic maple leaf, light green above and paler below.

Flower: Dioecious; yellow-green, in drooping racemes; appearing in spring.

Fruit: Paired V-shaped samaras, 1 to 1 1/2 inches long, in drooping clusters,light tan when ripe in fall, persist throughout winter.

Twig: Green to purplish green, moderately stout, leaf scars narrow, meeting in raised points, often covered with a glaucous bloom; buds white and hairy, lateral buds appressed.

Bark: Thin, gray to light brown, with shallow interlacing ridges; young bark is generally warty.

Form: Medium sized tree to 60 feet, typically with poor form and multiple trunks; sprouts often occur on bole.

You forgot "prone to rot" and "highly invasive" [img]smile.gif[/img]

Highly invasive for sure. Surprizingly good fire wood as I have learned the past 2 winters. More creasote than I like, but it's free.

Box Elder got its name from the fact it was used a great deal for making boxes in the old days. What a tidbit.......

In the rot department it is simular to Poplar/Aspen. With the bark on it will get punky. Bark off and it is amazingly good.

I made my last 15 Nuc's from Box Elder