Thread: Finally Pollen

Exclamation

Finally the boxelder has popped and the girls are bringing in loads of pollen.

yeee haaaa

gosh sundance, with full supers here your girls must be a laggin'...

and ain't boxelder's a tree? now I don't remember ANY of those when I did my tour of duty in north dakota.

I only remember trees right around the houses when I was there But pelicans EVERYWHERE!

Odd, but true. Pelicans migrate through here, in Nebraska also.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

Yep, a buddy and I left WI around midnight and got to ND as dawn was breaking, I was on no sleep and started noticing all these big, white birds wherever there was a pool of water, thought I was hallucinating for a while.

Loads of Pelicans, and Tundra Swans. Both gorgeous!!

Loads of trees here as I am on a lake. Most abundant are Boxelder which is a maple in reality.

Boxelder Aceraceae Acer negundo L.

Leaf: Opposite, pinnately compound, 3 to 5 leaflets (sometimes 7), 2 to 4 inches long, margin coarsely serrate or somewhat lobed, shape variable but leaflets often resemble a classic maple leaf, light green above and paler below.

Flower: Dioecious; yellow-green, in drooping racemes; appearing in spring.

Fruit: Paired V-shaped samaras, 1 to 1 1/2 inches long, in drooping clusters,light tan when ripe in fall, persist throughout winter.

Twig: Green to purplish green, moderately stout, leaf scars narrow, meeting in raised points, often covered with a glaucous bloom; buds white and hairy, lateral buds appressed.

Bark: Thin, gray to light brown, with shallow interlacing ridges; young bark is generally warty.

Form: Medium sized tree to 60 feet, typically with poor form and multiple trunks; sprouts often occur on bole.

You forgot "prone to rot" and "highly invasive" [img]smile.gif[/img]

Highly invasive for sure. Surprizingly good fire wood as I have learned the past 2 winters. More creasote than I like, but it's free.

Box Elder got its name from the fact it was used a great deal for making boxes in the old days. What a tidbit.......

In the rot department it is simular to Poplar/Aspen. With the bark on it will get punky. Bark off and it is amazingly good.

I made my last 15 Nuc's from Box Elder