Question

My back is not so good, but I love working my 22 beehives. In my search for help with the "back-breaking" I saw the Ezi-loader made in AU. It works great but the cost is $14K new. I was luky enough to find a Kelley boom loader on ebay and bought it sight unseen. Right now I'm in Iraq serving in the Army under Operation Iraqi Freedom and will not be home for a little while. Anyway, can someone tell me exactly how the Kelley loader works? http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...839547483&rd=1

It's a Jib Crane just like we've been talking about in another forum. The base would be mounted on your truck and the boom would swing out over your bee yard. The carriage piece (last picture) suspends under the boom and can be raised and lowered by the wench cable. This carriage may be designed to lift whole hives but you might be able to use it to grasp the supers under the hand holds to lift them off the brood boxes.

One piece that is not shown is the trolly that travels on the boom and has two pulleys that the the wench cable drops through. This trolly is probably in the grass at the end of the boom where that stretched coiled control cable is going.

Here is a picture of a loader on a truck: http://www.honeybeeworld.com/loader/loader.htm

LOL DocOz... I was the only guy who bid against you.... I would've liked to have it also, but I set my limit and you wanted it more.. Thats what Ebay is all about, and thats good. I am down in Mississippi just outside Jackson, but my kids live up in Hot Springs so I am up there pretty regular. If you need help getting it mounted or getting it working, I would be glad to help when I am up there. I recommend a 1-ton truck, or possibly a 3/4 ton to mount it on.... I even thought about mounting it on the front of a trailer so you could load both the truck AND the trailer at the same time. Still don't know if I want to build a loader like the Kelley, or put a small loader on the front of a large lawn tractor.... but I agree I don't wanna pull supers by hand all the time. Let me know when you get home if you want help with it...I'ld like to get measurments and such in case I try to build my own....
    Best of luck in Iraq... watch your back, and any cars with crazy looking drivers coming down the street. Hope you rotate home soon.
    SippyBee/ aka Jofox10

When given the HUGE price of a new Ezi-Loader I had little choice but bid "whatever it takes" to get that loader - sorry. I'm going to try to mount it on the front of a gooseneck trailer and attach at both the floor and the upright of the gooseneck itself. I thought about getting a 1 ton or larger flatbed and mount it there but the rated payload capacity is much larger on a gooseneck (about 3,000lb vs 8,500lb). Anyway, I plan to go pick it up sometime at the end of Oct or 1st part of Nov. I will keep it at my dad's farm down in south AR while trying to get it working. You are more than welcome to come by and take a look/measure anytime. I just can't understand why you can't get a new one from Kelley anymore (excluding the short one they sell now.) Those boxes get HEAVY!!

WOW! Good thing I did not see this auction or I likely would have gotten in on the action. I have seen one in use, looked real handy. The one in the pic obviously needs some restoration. If I recall correctly, WTK does not make these anymore but can still help with parts. They now sell a small trailer mounted unit (does not look as good as this loader is/was) for a few thousand dollars.

Good Luck.