beekeep39 Guest

I will be harvesting my two hives supers this weekend, and was wondering something. Our 2-3 acres of alfalfa is just staring to bloom (yeah we got it planted really late) and my dad has to get a new sickle for our mower so he wont' be able to cut it til next weekend, meaning it will be blooming all of this week. (I checked and the weather looks lie partly cloudy, 70-80 degrees most of the week.)

I'm wondering if when I'm done harvesting, if I put another super on my strongest hive, would the fill it up in one week? I've got two hives, but only one of them looks like it has a large enough population to handle the job.

Also I've noticed that the past couple of days the bees have been gathering a bit of water from puddles nearby. What is this an indication of?

Big Grin

Gathering water is for several things. Nothing bad though. They bees use the water to cool down the hive and keep a certain amount of humidity in the hive, the other is to mix the water with some granulated or real thick honey so that they can eat it, OR they are thirsty.
    I would extract the supers and get them back on both hive as quickly as possible. In a week they can fill it up no problem.
    Enjoy your harvest.
    Dan

>I will be harvesting my two hives supers this weekend, and was wondering something. Our 2-3 acres of alfalfa is just staring to bloom (yeah we got it planted really late) and my dad has to get a new sickle for our mower so he wont' be able to cut it til next weekend, meaning it will be blooming all of this week. (I checked and the weather looks lie partly cloudy, 70-80 degrees most of the week.)
    I'm wondering if when I'm done harvesting,

Honey or alfalfa? Honey I guess?

>if I put another super on my strongest hive, would the fill it up in one week?

I wouldn't try to predict. It depends on too many things from weather, to the motivation of the bees, to the nectar content of the alfalfa to the moisture in the ground. What do you have to lose?

>I've got two hives, but only one of them looks like it has a large enough population to handle the job.

Handle what job? Filling the super? Just make sure they both have room and see what they do. Sometimes a hive comes from behind quickly.

>Also I've noticed that the past couple of days the bees have been gathering a bit of water from puddles nearby. What is this an indication of?

That things are normal? Bees gather water anytime it's warm enough to fly. They gather more in the heat of summer.