help one of my hives has come up queenless and so far the only breeder of queens that has replied to my e-mails is r.weaver.
    any have thier line of buckfast bees?

They are mean. Get their All American.

Also check the below. They breed year round. They have New World Carniolans and Italians. Their price list on the web is out of date. The Weavers at one time were part owners and still visit. http://www.konaqueen.com/about.html

tzeiner5773 Guest

The Buckfast's are great honey-(money) makers.
    Yes they are mean sometimes, but I think it is worth it. You will have to use your smoker and a vail.

I contacted every Canadian Buckfast breeder I could find, and it appears they only breed queens in the spring. It seems odd to me that they completely ignore the market for late summer and fall requeening, but that's the way it is.

Roger

I've never had a problem with Weaver's Buckfasts being mean until the next generation and then I've only had that experience once out of having them for 28 years. However, once was enough for me. They weren't mean, they were vicious.

I have had Weaver Buckfasts since 1978 and never had them go mean.

Big Grin

i started beekeeping last year with 2 hives of r weavers buckfast. after they made their own queen, LOOK OUT!!!!. i can laugh now. wish my wife had a movie camera in her hands could have won americas funniest videos with no problem. these bees would wait for you 2 to 3 hours 200 feet away from their hive, soon as i would walk out the door of my shop and try to get to my car (aprox. 10 feet) they were vicious. almost impossible to work also. i requeened both hives with more buckfast and it took about 3 months before things were good again.

well i reckon i'll find out for myself how rough the buckfast's can get.
    i tried calling 3 queen breeders and R. Weaver was the only one that answered, guy was real nice and said would ship me a queen the next day.
    when you have a queenless hive you don't mess around lol will see how it goes

All of the business I did with the Weavers they have been excellent at customer service. They were freindly, helpful and only once did I have a problem with a queen that wasn't mated well and layed drones and they promply replaced her.

I agree with Micheal regarding their customer service. Very friendly people with years of experience. Do you think that they are aware of the problems some have with second generation queens?

I recently ordered from Bowling Bee and he also was very friendly and prompt.

WayaCoyote

I have tried buckfast from r weavers this year. I haven't had buckies in years, i am finding they are quite nice and gentle, draw 4.9 foundation real well for those that are inclined to this. They are real good bees and i would recomend them. Becareful getting packages from them however as you will likely get SHB.

I get B and R Weaver confused, so I won't swear which one I talked to, but. When I called them last spring about their claim of varroa resistant bees they told me that they had been selecting for the resistant trait for a few years at the expence of gentelness.

Their next project is to start selecting for the gentel traits from the resistant bees.