Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

sbb

5K views 12 replies 10 participants last post by  Hutch 
#1 ·
OK, here we are getting close to cold weather ,here in east TN. My ? is do, we close up the screened bottom boards or leave them open.

#4 ·
I usually leave them open unless it gets extremely cold for these parts or unless the hive is weak. I have a weak hive this year that I'm planning on wintering over a strong hive with a double screen board between, so that the weak hive can use the strong hive's heat.

#8 ·
Every now and then you will hear someone say "the bees know best". Whether you use screen bottom boards, upper ventalation holes, prop the cover up, wrap, etc, the key is to do it early enough for the bees to adjust.

Some of my hives have SBB and upper entrance holes. Some will close them up, some will not. They tend to plug with propolis holes and area that they see fit. They are great at regulating the air flow. Whatever you do, do not change the hive configuration late in the year. Give them a chance with adequate time to do what they need to for winter.

Where your located, I would leave them open. As long as they are protected from direct winds. Something that should be given whether you have SBB or not.

#9 ·
Here in the Northeast, Tug Hill Area of New York State, where I keep my bees I leave it open. Temps here go down to -20 to -30 F with 6-7 feet of snow. We get winds off lake Ontario at 30 to 50 miles an hour at times. I leave my screens open and the bees do fine. The moisture is what kills them. The snow here might have an effect on my bees since they do get covered. You have to take a look at what you think is best. Try some hives covered and others open and see which ones are doing ok.
Dan

#10 ·
I live north of you and I have had good success with leaving them open.
The last time I looked at a map Michigan was much farther North than Kentucky.
Clint

------------------
Clinton Bemrose
just South of Lansing Michigan
Beekeeping sence 1964

#11 ·
Last spring one hive was on an open screen the other had a screen that fits into a standard BB. The one left open came thru winter fine but did not start brood rearing until I put a standard BB under it in late Feb. We need the earliest brood rearing to get the hives ready for our biggest flow, poplar. BTW both of these were buckfast and the other hive started raising brood in Dec as it was warmer than normal last year.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.