Hello
    So me and my dad finally got our order of 4 packaged bee's. I drove 200 miles (400 total) to get these bee's and once I got home we were so eager to put install them in our hives that we forgot to dress appropriately, though a joy to install them, i must have gotten stung atleast 20 times when they flew into my shirt. This eagerness comes from 3 years of wanting to start my own hive but having no time (college) and my dad having 25 years of envy of others with bee's and failed attempts that now we finally have some to start with (we caught a wild swarm that split from a hollow tree on our farm, but when the occupying bee's left, the swarm we caught moved back into the tree). So thats a little about our history and our first day with packaged bee's, we still have 2 that havent been installed because we still have to put together 2 more hives, any suggestions for two newbies? thanks

Danny
    Happiness is something final and complete in itself, as being the aim and end of all practical activities whatever .... Happiness then we define as the active exercise of the mind in conformity with perfect goodness or virtue.

Yeah I feel your pain, I didnt get stung no 20 times but at least 10 everywhere, Next time I will come better prepared, it kinda hurts but no use crying over spilled milk, good luck.
    LJC...

Just curious, did you mist heavily with sugar water before dumping them? I figured one of the reasons for doing so was to keep them busy cleaning themselves and not thinking about flying so much (or being able to). I guess I've just been lucky so far, been in the box three times and haven't logged my first sting.....yet LOL.

David

You are doing great. Enjoy!!!!!!
    "Younz" have a great day, I will.

i must have gotten stung atleast 20 times when they flew into my shirt.

Another reason NOT to dump them
    Ed, KA9CTT profanity is IGNORANCE made audible
    you can`t fix stupid not even with duct tape

I "dumped" 15 in the last two weekends without one sting from them. I did get one sting from an established hive when one crawled up my shirt. I'm sure it didn't intend to sting me but I pinched it and then it did. [img]smile.gif[/img]

I think a lot of the trick is to make sure they are not hungry. The first batch I got was out of syrup and I refilled all the cans the day before. They had one of those plastic rings with a piece of cloth in it. The second batch had cans with just three tiny holes in it. They all had plenty of syrup left in the cans, but I think the bees were still pretty hungry. I sprayed all of them (both batches) with light syrup partly to keep less of them in the air and party to feed them. Of course two hours later they were ALL in the air trying to figure out what to do next.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

Isn't that called "tuition at the School of Hard Knocks?"
    Banjos and bees... how sweet it is!

I always mist mine with syrup just before dumping a new package and I have never been stung hiving a new package. It's the one time I don't worry with the veil or even long sleeves. Maybe I have been lucky or as Michael pointed out, they still had plenty of syrup left in the can.