Results 1 to 14 of 14
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Batesburg-Leesville, South Carolina
    Posts
    1,443

    Post

    hi guys -hope someone can help. I got stung by a bee that crawled up my pants. stung me in a tender part of my leg. really didn't hurt that much, they don't hurt much anymore. So I left the stinger in and didn' bother messing with it. Now I have a lot of pain and swelling in that leg. I guess the stingber went deep and delivered all it's poison. I really don't want to go to the doctor, wasn't raised that way. any ideas?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Salem, Oregon
    Posts
    222

    Post

    I had a similar sting and I ended up going to the doctor. He said a cold pack and benadryl or a similar medicine will help. The pack made a huge difference. Hope this helps.
    Andrew<br /><br /> <a href=\"http://orsba.proboards27.com/index.cgi\" target=\"_blank\">http://orsba.proboards27.com/index.cgi</a>

  3. #3
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Raleigh, North Carolina
    Posts
    3,598

    Post

    if you didn't have a systemic reaction I don't think there's much a doc can do for you
    as Nuebee said, I find a cold pack helps a lot with the itching

    Dave

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Batesburg-Leesville, South Carolina
    Posts
    1,443

    Post

    this was three days ago, and just today the swelling went down. in the sting there was a small pustule like a fire ant bite. The pustule burst and left a cavity like a spider bite. it hurt like a snake bite. was just a real unusual event I hope not to repeat! I just thought it was worth posting in case it happens to someone else.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Raleigh, North Carolina
    Posts
    3,598

    Post

    I've had one last that long
    get's kinda old don't it
    the truth is, like a snake bite, you've had poison injected into you
    points out the need to get that stinger out
    I know, hard to do when it's up your pants leg
    hope it get's better quick [img]smile.gif[/img]

    Dave

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Grapevine,Texas
    Posts
    59

    Post

    Got stung on the finger---no gloves--got the stinger out quick but evidently not quick enough-swelled half up my forearm and ITCHED!!!! After a couple of days bought benadryl. Two every four hours and it didn't bother me and went away in about a day....good luck!!

    Ray
    Back To The Future

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Western Pennsylvania
    Posts
    2,071

    Post

    --hi guys -hope someone can help. I got stung by a bee that crawled up my pants.

    What I do in this case is pray that they the bees stings below the knee.

    --Now I have a lot of pain and swelling in that leg. I guess the stingber went deep and delivered all it's poison. I really don't want to go to the doctor, wasn't raised that way. any ideas?

    This is a severe normal reaction if resistance is not build up yet, and happens more often if the stinger is left in.

    What I did to build immunity was to grab bees off of clover and sting my arm. Then scrap the stinger off in 3 to 5 seconds. The time can be increased when immunity is built up a bit.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Rosedale, IN
    Posts
    501

    Post

    Like someone told me recently. The first sting of the year is the worst. I got stung the same way (and was the first one). Had a pretty bad reaction too. Like they said - cold pack was the only thing that stopped the itch. On page 1217 of The Hive & The Honey Bee there is an interesting chart on normal & allergic reactions to stings.
    "The greatest threat is our own staggering ignorance and cavalier treatment of the natural world to which we belong."

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Nehawka, Nebraska USA
    Posts
    45,919

    Post

    &gt;any ideas?

    I had one like that at the begining of last year. I have had noticablly less recation to stings than I used to since.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

  10. #10
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Accord, NY
    Posts
    333

    Post

    Ice pack does wonders so does PLANTAIN. It grows as a weed just about everywhere. As soon as I get stung I pick a clean leaf and chew it and another to make a "bandaid" with. I spread the minced bits on the bite site and cover with the bandaid leaf. I hold it in place for a minute or two (half a minute if I'm busy.) I'm not highly alergic to stings but I used to get the swelling, pain, itchiness. When I apply plantain I barely remember a sting from one day to the next.
    The pustule might have been due to something else the bee sting might have pushed in. Infections are a common problem with puncture wounds. Could it be that the extra swelling was you immune system reaction to something else in addition to the bee venom?

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Greensboro, N.C.
    Posts
    5,080

    Post

    Many times the pustule will develop when the stinger is left in. I get them quite often when I don't realize I was stung and don't see the stinger. A little cortizone or benadryl cream will clear it up. When you swell, smile and be happy. I have never seen a systemic reaction acompanied by local swelling. I'm not saying it doesn't happen, but I have never seen or heard of it.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Clatskanie, Oregon, USA
    Posts
    93

    Post

    I had one the same place, and it was not the first this year... a lot of swelling like yours with a pustule like bite. I have had them on my arms no big deal and now the itch, Oh and did I say anything about the itch

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    orange county, california
    Posts
    46

    Post

    two weeks ago I had three different stings on three different days. two while hives inspection (nasty swarm that I caught) , the third while gardening. the third was in my arm. I had a horrible and nasty reaction on third. I refused to take benadryl for the purpose of building my immunity. it was a bad mistake. my face swelled up, for the first time in my life I could see my sinuses vin the mirror. I had small pimple like things all over my body, and the itch was impossible to stop. I filled the bath tub with ice and sat. It wasn't long before I felt that I can no longer breath. ended up going to urgent care , got a steroid shot to stop the swelling. I got lectured by the doctor, and everyone I knew.
    it was embarrassing.
    the moral of this story you may want to start taking a benadryl pill twenty minuets prior to inspection. this is what I have to do If I want to keep working on my bees if there is to be a next time.
    I hope you get well
    It's like a book, I think, this bloomin' world, Which you can read and care for just so long, But presently you feel that you will die, Unless you get the page you're readin' done, an' turn another - likely not so good; But what you're after is to turn 'em all.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Buda, Texas
    Posts
    922

    Post

    Fordguy,
    I believe what you experienced had nothing to do with the venom but the fact that you left a foreign body imbedded in your flesh which resulted in a minor, localized infection. Sure, the initial swelling causes a local inflammation and your body does produces antibodies to combat the venom (the "memory" of which allows your body to react better and better as time goes on) but pus is sign of infection. Just scrape out the stinger and wash the area when you get inside.
    Lucky thing for you the bee didn't go much further up your leg
    "I am the Good Shepherd. The Good Shepherd lays down His life for the sheep. " John 10:11

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Ads