Today, I was approached by a "permit" getter for a natural gas mapping outfit. Their modus operendi is to lay cable in an area and fire charges into the ground sending waves that are recorded on their receiving equiptment. How this wave reads tells them where to drill. One of their intentions, if I sign is to fire their charges within 200 feet of my apiary. The charge does not surface , but is designed to go 10-12000 feet into the earth.THERE IS A SMALL FEE OFFERED. NOT WORTH ANY RISK. Does anyone have experience with this activity and their apiary? Ray Barber

just make sure you don't sign any rights away if they find gas!

We had the thumper trucks out this way a few years ago. The only charges they set were if they were going off road with the cables.
    "I reject your reality, and substitute my own." Adam Savage

IF it's your land and they approach you for drilling, consult an attorney who knows oil and gas law. If you don't know one, contact the local bar association for assistance.

If they find gas on an adjoining property, the well operator would then have to pay you a production royalty based on your prorated share of the production from the well. Consult an attorney who knows oil and gas law.

I don't see the vibration being a problem for the bees, that is unless you have AHB. ;&gt

Find out if you even have mineral rights to your land. I cn think of quite a few places around the country where you might own the land but not whats in it or under it. I think most of Texas is like that. I know of a few Coal mines that creted sink holes and destroied the homes above the mines. It all depends on where you live and who got their first. either way, doign the reserch cant' hurt and could most likely come in handy later.

Pcolar and Bryon 's points are right on target. Please talk with an atty on this - I am not sure there is such a thing as an "oil and gas" atty, but there has got to be a local guy there who has had experience with this stuff. the point about mineral rights - you'd be surprised how many people have bought land but not the MR to it.

RAYB, Is your apiary on your land? How much are they offering? How many colonies do you have there? Is what they are offering equal to or more than what you earn from your apiary? If yes to the last question, then I'd go ahead and sign. If it is on your land, do you still own the mineral rights?
    Mark Berninghausen
    Squeak Creek Apiaries

ford guy sezs:
    I am not sure there is such a thing as an "oil and gas" atty

tecumseh states:
    oh yes there are. oil towns like dallas, houston and sheveport, LA are just filled with them. seismic testing is pretty standard. they have paid to cross the old family place several times. if the company is above board then they normally have some mechanism for remediating damages. it sometimes is good advice to let someone familar with legal paper to have a look, so that you can have some assurance that you aren't giving away the farm. the relationship between surface ownership and mineral ownership varies from state to state. did a bit of oil and gas leasing not so many years back. there are a lot of 'snakes' in the business, but that can probably be said about a lot of businesses.

Thanks guys all! My larger concern has disappeared to an extent. When I made the posting, the permit getter was looking to set off 2.5 lb charges of dynamite buried in the ground about six feet. These charges send a wave to 10-12000feet deep and are read in 3-D by receivers back at ground level showing in 3-d where the goods are in the layout shot.It's relatively new! The proximity is no longer an issue and my bees should be safe. I can still sign and earn. Thanks again! Ray B