Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: got stung

Another field treatment you can use if you don't have plantain is to immediately select the leaves from three different succulent broad-leaved plants (plantain, clovers, dandelion, etc. just use what is immediately at hand) and crush them with your fingers and rub the mush on the sting site. Jucier plants are best and it must be done immediately. I've used it and it does seem to reduce the reactions. My Dad swore by it. If no other treatments are immediately available it is something that can be done quickly.

I got to tell you what works for me. First try to scrape off the stinger. If you're in the field, fully suited, that's hard to do. Next asap, apply a cotton ball soaked in Benadryl GEL. It is sold at most Walgreen's and Target stores (3 bucks). It has a aqua blue cap. Look for it next to the anti-itch stuff at the stores. I really swear by this. I keep re-saturating the cotton ball every 2-3 minutes for a total of 15 minutes. I have no problem afterwards, no swelling, no pain. On another issue:

That fella that gets swollen on his arms should be checked by his doc. The swelling is caused by a histamine reaction, your body sends out fluid to the area that has been traumatized. The real issue is if you get stung near you nose or mouth, because if you get stung next to your airway, it can become congested from the histamine reaction and your breathing can become labored or restricted. The best thing to do in the case of that type of allergic reaction is speak to your doctor before resuming beekeeping activities. Let's put it to you like this, if you think something was wrong about your reaction to a bee sting, you're probably right. And put simply, what paramedic do you know who will come into your beeyard with your hives strewn open, to rescue you while you lay on the ground in respiratory distress???

if you think something was wrong about your reaction to a bee sting, you're probably right.

Not trying to pick an argument but I disagree. That is why you have so many people walking around saying that they are allergic to bee stings... They all think "something is wrong about their reaction to a bee sting". Two people at my work the other day separately said that they can't get near bees. They both claimed to be severely allergic. When I asked them both where their Epipen was neither knew what I was talking about. They had some swelling and that was it. One went to a doctor but said the doc had said nothing about having to carry anything. Maybe they had a bigger than average reaction but not to the point that there was a problem.

Without a doubt there are severely allergic people. However, I'd say most people overreact.

Dan
    Dan Williamson
    B&C Honey Farm http://www.flickr.com/photos/9848229@N05/

As I had mentioned early in this thread. I had a severe systemic reaction about 9 days ago from a sting on the ankle. Ended up with an emergency room visit. The liquid benadryl I took right after the sting may have waylayed the reaction. But I had closed throat, swollen tongue, almost impossible to breathe, all the classic symptoms, all in minutes. I am 48 years old and this has never happened before. I now have an Epipen. And the shelves in the house are replenished with Benadryl liquid, tablets, etc. I always wear a full Bee Suit and gloves. What might I expect with the next sting? I am hesitant to work my bees! What is your experiences?

I would expect the next sting reaction to be similar to or worse than the one you just experienced. Get a referral to an allergist and inquire about hyposensitization vaccines. Your life is at risk.

Aspera's right Red. You need real medical advice. I'm good at emergency Medicine but you need an allergist.

Hawk
    KC0YXI

The previous stings only had the normal local swelling and itching. Why all of a sudden this systemic reaction. I need to work my bees. When I got stung the last time, I was requeening a nuc. I haven't even seen whether she is out and doing ok. And probably all feeders are empty. Extra clothes under my beemaster suit? Epipen and car phone? Make sure somebody is home when I work them? Really want to work them, hate to let this last event change everything. I just have 4 hives, but I know it could take only one bee. What to do?

Red, the first thing to do is get tested. When my son reacted like that in his third year of beekeeping, and over a hundred prior stings, we had him tested. Something that hasn't been brought up here is, There are two different reactions. One a system reaction, where a sting anywhere will react, and two, a blood reaction, where stings will not bother you until one hits you on a blood vessel. His is the two. He has been stung a few times since, with no reaction, and may never get hit on a blood vein again, or the next one may be the big one. He always keeps an epipen and benedryl tablets close by, but hasn't used one yet. No matter, he will continue to keep one as long as he lives, just in case.

Another home remade I have heard of is onion, just rub some on the sting and it’s suppose to take the sting out, nice image Michael I have a lot of plantain growing around next time I get stung I’ll try it. Seems like the more stings I get the less reaction I have the body will take care of itself.
    The Busy Bee teaches two lessons: One is not to be idle and the other is not to get stung.

>I will look to see if there is a product made from the essence of plantain. I never heard of it before and the picture doesn't look familiar.

I've never seen a yard that didn't have plantain growing in it. The leaves are shiny and dark green. If they haven't gone to seed (or you mow often) it won't have the seed stalk in the center. It usually grows where the soil is hard packed from people walking on it.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

redhawknc1 !!!

And anyone with a SEVERE reaction.

SEE AN ALLERGIST AND FIND OUT WHAT YOUR OPTIONS ARE!
    David

Thanks for all answers and ideas re stings and adverse reaction.
    I did get some Benadryl gel. It worked the best of any otc product yet.
    I will get tested and a Rx for Epipen.
    I will get the stinger out asap without worrying how. I read a great dissertation that said each second counts more than the possibliity of "pumping" in additional venom by grabbing the stinger sac.
    I will continue to look for plaintain in my area. I was out for a while this A.M. with a keeper who knew of it, but we didn't see any all morning.
    I am at 3 & 1/2 days since my last sting and the swelling and itching is almost gone. I might beat my 4 day symtomatic past.
    I will persevere because I want to be successful with beekeeping.
    Thanks again.
    His Hive Honey Farm - Do all for His glory!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234