Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    dtwilliamson Guest

I know that alot of people feel that it is cheaper to buy pre-cut woodenware but I enjoy working with wood and want to build some of my own.

Does anyone have any good ideas on cutting a box joint using a dado blade and where I can get plans to build a jig?

Thanks,

Dan

Here is a good link:
    http://www.myoldtools.com/boxjoint/boxjoint.htm

I have found that it is not only fun but cost saving to make my own boxes.......but......I screwed up and was taking a shorcut when datoing handles in them and I got my left hand caught in the table saw.......almost lost my first two fingers..36 stiches..healing quite nicely but not much feeling in them.....please be careful and don't take any shortcuts....

Wayne

[This message has been edited by Flewster (edited June 09, 2004).]

Here is a good link:
    http://www.myoldtools.com/boxjoint/boxjoint.htm

I have found that it is not only fun but cost saving to make my own boxes.......but......I screwed up and was taking a shorcut when datoing handles in them and I got my left hand cought in the table saw.......almost lost my first two fingers....healing quite nicely but not much feeling in them.....please be careful and don't take any shortcuts....

Wayne

I prefer to dado rabbits these days as it is faster. I also had the power tool accident on first two fingers on left hand while using router. Shatter middle finger into 13 pieces and pointer into 8. Doc put me back together and I lost some feeling also but I can still play guitar although not quite as well. I second the using caution, you lose any savings you had when you take the trip to the hospital not to mention permenant damage to oneself.

Clay

Is it not amazing how fast it happens.....It was over before I knew it started and the next thing I knew I was staring at two VERY mangled finders spirting blood.......kids going crazy but I have to give my 11 year old credit......he was calm, shut thew saw off and dialed 911 for me.......he is a champ in my book and actually took it better than me......of course now I have 3 kids that make sure I am extra safe while working with the saw.....this only happened on may 2nd this year.......still hard to use the saw but I am getting better......guess I am lucky to still have the fingers......

dtwilliamson Guest

WOW! I have had some close calls but never cut myself yet! Those sure sound painful! Thanks for the link! Looks like a good jig!

Which is better dado or router?

[This message has been edited by dtwilliamson (edited June 09, 2004).]

A table saw with a dado is safer and easier than a router. I've done both and prefer the dado.

Spend a little bit of money and get your self a good dovetail jig - some thing like a Leigh 24" Dovetail Jig.
    I bought one years ago with extra fingers and
    set it up for both 9" (left side) and 6" (right side) boxes. Works great.

You can cut all sorts of joints

I second the Jig. It's faster beacuse you do not have to layout and measure. Just set up the jig and buzz buzz buzz!

Here is another site for a different box joint jig. I used this one for cutting my boxes, it worked well and it looks simplier than the above jig and won't take up as much storage space. Although you may want to modify the key/tenon so that it is a little shorter than 3/4" (keep the width at 3/4"). http://www.lowes.com/lkn?action=howTo&p=Build/boxjnt

dtwilliamson Guest

I really like both of those jigs. Problem is I just figured out last night that my benchtop table saw will only handle 1/2" dado cuts. So I'm not sure what I'm gonna do. I wanted 3/4" joints.

Just make two passes and you can make a 3/4" dado cut.

myoldtools is my website. Both jigs will work. I like my design a little better because it uses two rails and holds alignment a little better. You can build the sled bottomless if you prefer, but I like having the material carried, rather than sliding. The dado sled itself has many uses when not being used for box joints.

By the way, since Dadant has an outlet about 50 miles from here, I seldom cut my own anymore. I still use it for feeder boxes and such, but not often.

dtwilliamson Guest

>Just make two passes and you can make a 3/4" dado cut.

I guess I'm just trying to figure out how I would make my jig differently since I would have to make 2 passes.

HEY EVEVYBODY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    PUT THE BOX TOGETHER FIRST THEN CUT THE HANDHOLDS ON THE TABLESAW WITH YOUR DADOS.
    put pencil marks on your fence where to stop and start and simply hang on to the box
    as far as a box joint its simple to make a jig but you have to be VERY PRECISE or it WONT WORK. so if you dont have a pretty good table saw i recommend a simple half lap or rabit type joint, it will out last most of us and our children as long as you glue

dtwilliamson Guest

Another Hoosier and not very far away at that! I've tried the rabbit joints I just wanted to make box joints! I have a Craftsman 10" benchtop saw. It is one of the cheaper ones. Since I can't do more than a 1/2" dado on it MB was stating that I would need to make 2 passes. But I don't know how to build the jig to account for 2 passes! I like to work with wood like this but I'm not terribly experienced. Guess I'll have to think about it and see what I can come up with!

When I decided to make my own boxes, I also wanted to do the box joint.... but after talking to several others, I decided that the lap joint was both easier, and better in the opinion of those I asked. They said that the lap joint didn't let water into the grain of the wood as bad as the box joint, and that it would last longer... I think the box joint is probably stronger, but it shouldn't matter unless I am using the boxes to sit on all the time.. I know for sure the lap is quicker, and uses less wood to make the box.... but.... to each his own. : )

I make my own boxes now ,although with out a jig ,I use a dado blade and clamp the 4 pieces together withe the shorter ones set 1"
    apart from the longer ones and then run them across the dado ,Just my way