Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

terry that looks right but what happens whne you have some honey on the frame so she cant use it all. i have seen hives that have 8-10 frames of brood. in a single do they keep honey down in the brood nest? Nick

Nick,

I generally found that the bees didn't store very much honey in the single deep, especially during the honey flow (which is what I wanted, I wanted them to use as much as possible of that space for brood rearing). I used a queen excluder on top of the deep and honey supers on top of that. When I fed them in the Fall and brood rearing was curtailed, then they really packed the brood chamber full.
    Gregg Stewart

i dont want to steal this thread but one more question gregg. during the spring after you take them out of the storage area did you feed them? cause if you did did it interfere with the space for the queen to lay?

Nick,

I didn't do any feeding back then in the Spring, either those wintered indoors or out. I generally found that they had enough stores so by swapping some frames around they were O.K. My thought was also that I didn't want a whole lot of honey/syrup in the brood chamber (but still enough to allow them to build up) to maximize the space for the queen to lay. I do recall one year with very little Spring nectar, bees were very strong, and honeyflow started late. A lot of them were on the verge of starvation by mid June. In desparation I dumped some dry sugar on the inner covers. A few still starved and most of them dwindled somewhat, but after the honeyflow started around July 1 they rebounded quickly and made a decent crop.
    Gregg Stewart

Gregg:

The weather is forecast to be near 60 on Saturday, so I'll get a better look inside the hives.

I had another thought... As an alternative to feeding, could you simply add frames of honey in the fall to those that did not have enough stored reserves? Could the same be done in the spring, especially if the flow is delayed?

Can we also assume that a key to single story production success is dependent upon your use of Carniolans?

Terry's insights (and math) brings me to another question... Did you use 10 or 9 frames in your singles?

Jim

>As an alternative to feeding, could you simply add frames of honey in the fall to those that did not have enough stored reserves? Could the same be done in the spring, especially if the flow is delayed?

That's what I do. Plus in the spring you have all the honey from any hive that failed, to use to feed those that are booming and using stores up.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

Yep, you certainly can add frames of honey (if you have them) in either the Fall or Spring. IMO Carniolans are better suited to our climate whether they are being wintered indoors or out, or in singles or doubles. I used 9 frames in my single deeps.
    Gregg Stewart

Is it going to be impossible to get a few Carniolan queens and packages this spring?

Jim

Michael, adding honey works fine just make sure you know the source of the honey is foulbrood free. Frame exchange in both spring equalizing and winter feeding contributes to the spread of diseases such as foulbrood, chalkbrood etc withing and apiary. Of course good frames of honey from healthy hives is preferrable to anything artificial we'll give them. Make sure not to short a another strong hive which may need the extra stores over the winter.

>>so gregg an Ian do you think it is better to use a single than a double? does the queen have enough room to lay in the spring?

Well, frankly I havnt much experience running singles season long. I winter most, if not all my hives outside, and therfore use doubles. The increase splits that I make up sometimes in a good pollen flow, I have been wintering them inside with good success.

As for which is better, singles or doubles. I would suggest doubles, but I know many beekeepers whos hives perform better than mine year round in singles. I have come acustom to the space in doubles, leaving better reserves for the colonies throughout the seasons. I believe outdoor wintering provides stronger hives for bigger splits in most years. Doubles also give me alittle more flexability for treatments, as the supers dont go on quite as soon as singles.
    Now, as I start wintering more of my operation indoors, I probably will convert to singles in time. But I havnt got the double indoors out of my head yet.

Swarming isnt as issue when managing in singles. Your biggest factor is the manipulation of colony size according to the year and honeyflow. As it is with doubles.

>>and with indoor wintering if it warms up in the middle of winter say it goes from 20-30 up to 45f does this hus the bees? thanks Nick

Good ventalation is the key to keeping the bees in the boxes during short warm spells.
    Ian Steppler >> Canadian Beekeeper's Blog
    www.stepplerfarms.com

Jim,

Probably going to be very difficult to find packages now, but I'd think you should be able to find some Carniolan queens if you check around. May have to settle for getting them later on however, perhaps into mid/late May. No other helpful suggestions except to check the ads & start making phone calls.
    Gregg Stewart