Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Allergic to bees

8K views 31 replies 19 participants last post by  BULLSEYE BILL 
#1 ·
I'm new here. Glad to find this forum. I have a small farm here in N. Indiana. I'd love to have a couple of hives of bees for pollination and for honey but I'm allergic to bee stings. Anybody heard of anyone keeping bees when they're allergic? I did think of trying to find someone who needs a place to keep a couple of hives and offering my place in exchange for some honey but didn't know where to start looking. I appreciate any help..

DebF

#2 ·
Many people get stung by a wasp, and swell up assuming they got stung by a "bee". It's much more common to be allergic to wasp stings than bee stings... and just 'cause you're allergic to wasps does not mean you're allergic to bees. If however, you stepped on a honeybee in the grass... then you're right, you're allergic to honeybees. If so, you can carry the shot but I wouldn't risk it.

#6 ·
What specific type of reaction do you have to bee stings? Just be sure it's really an allergy and not a local reaction.
If you really really want to keep bees and are truly allergic to them, there's a couple of bee suits that are supposed to be sting-proof. I intend to buy one this year because one of my hives is particularly feisty. I bough some of the rubber-coated gloves and they have been marvelous. No more stings to the hands that I used to get through my soft leather gloves.

#7 ·
You can have a doctor test specifically for bee allergy. Seems to me that in your situation this is time/money well spent. (And not a huge amount of either is required.) I would hate to see you abandon your desire to keep bees without knowing for sure that you are alergic . . . one event is not enough to be sure. On the other hand, if you really have a serious allergy, you need to know that too. If the doctor discovers a serious reaction, there are specific drugs that can be prescribed and you should, if you do decide to keep bees, be prepared to administer them to yourself.

#10 ·
We beekeepers can be quite specific when it comes to "allergic to bee stings". Some people have a big red spot and say they are allergic. Some swell up like a balloon and their heart stops and they say they are allergic. We tend to think if you stop breathing you are probably allergic.

Just kidding, but if you only have a swelled up area and not a systemic reaction, you are just normal but had a little worse reaction than typical. I've had an area swell up and hurt for two weeks. (Behind my ear) and I've gotten stung that morning and later that same morning can't find where it happened.

If you go into anaphylactic shock you are definitely allergic.

#11 ·
One of the members of our club runs an organic nursery and is allergic to bees. She carries an epi pen at all times. I think it's just a matter of being prudent(easy for me to say since I'm not allergic!). Last year my friend was not so prudent--as she was walking through the beeyard with not so much as a veil on, she thought she would heft a hive to calculate its weight. Got stung 12 times. The epi pen and a trip to emergency kept her out of trouble, but a full week and a half later, she was still pretty lumpy!

#12 ·
The last reaction I had was a worsening of symptoms I had previous stings. I am a nurse so I know the difference between reactions and allergic reactions. The hives and itching in areas other than the sting (which I did have)are signs of allergy. I also know that each exposure can increase the chance of anaphylaxis and that if it goes that far it could very well be too late. I will talk to my doctor again and see about allergy testing. Thanks everyone for your advice and encouragement.

#13 ·
This may be drifting a bit off topic but may be interesting to folks since we are talking about systemic reactions (anaphylaxis). I won't go into the physiology of it all (although I am tempted) but I would offer a couple of points regarding medications that contradict systemic reactions.

Basically, the introduction of a protein (in this case bee venom) triggers a massive (non-localized) release of histamines from your body’s mast cells resulting in hives, itching, swelling, difficulty breathing, increased heart rate, drop in BP, etc. Benadryl (diphenhydramine) contradicts the reaction by helping to stem the release of histamines – it gets at the root of the problem by stopping or slowing down the release of histamine. Epinephrine (e.g., Epi-pens, Ana-kits) as mentioned is a synthetic adrenaline that acts as a vasoconstrictor. It essentially contradicts the reaction by constricting your blood vessels thus reducing the swelling. It does nothing to stop the release of histamines however which is what ultimately is causing the vasodilatation and the swelling in the first place.

So what does all of this mean? It means that the best treatment (if you can swallow) is to get some antihistamine in you as soon as you can. If you have a compromised airway administer a .3ml dose of epinephrine (most epi-pens are .3 ml) which will reduce the swelling and open-up your airway but as soon as you can take some diphenhydramine to contradict the release of histamines. And by all means, if you have a systemic reaction go to the hospital to get checked. Also watch to re-bound reactions that can occur in the next 12- 24 hours.

If people are interested in more detail, anaphylaxis treatment protocols, how to administer epinephrine etc. I would be happy to send people loads if information off line. I’ll even send you some nifty power-point slide shows.

Kurt

#17 ·
When I started keeping bees a sting would result in extensive swelling---If I got stung on the hand, my whole arm would swell, and my hand so much so that I couldn't touch fingers together. The swelling would peak at 72 hours, then subside over a week.

Now I don't even get a red mark. Now I can take a hundred stings and maybe get a headache from the venom, but no swelling or itching.

If you are borderline allergic, and can stand it, frequent (daily) multiple stings can reduce the allergy until it no longer affects you.

#19 ·
Hi Guys
I have been stung on the hand and had my whole arm swell and even cause lymph nodes to swell, but subside over a week or so.I also got stung last spring several times on the throat and han nothing more than a little local swelling and an itch for two days, go figure.
Stuart

#21 ·
It seems to depend on the amount of venom. I took one nasty sting to my arm, and it swelled really bad, but I managed to squeeze most of the venom into my arm before I got the stinger out. If I get stung through clothing or gloves, the stinger comes out right away, and I don't get as much venom.

#22 ·
I asked my allergist about this a few months ago, as I am allergic to wasps (not bee, now, but changes hapen).

Apparently you can now be disensitized, if you wish. Mind, for my grass allergy it took 18 MONTHS of shots to be desensitized, but it is do-able if you wish.

#23 ·
Based on my experience, non-allergic reactions to bee venom follow a bell curve. Starting off minor, growing more and more intense, and then tapering off to nothingness. I was worried at first, thinking I was 'allergic'. After reading on this concept (cant remember the book title, but will provide if asked), I discovered the concept of the bell curve reaction to venom.

Thankfully I'm on the downward slope of the bell curve. However, that was in the fall when I was being stung often (sometimes purposefully in the honey house, trying to speed past the top of the bell curve). Just so you know, I went from minor swelling/itching at sting site; to whole body itching and hives (red rash circles all over), to even swelling in areas not associated w/ the sting (i.e. stung on arm, 10 minutes later neck swelling and tightness).

This concept should be the same for all. For those w/ little reaction through-out their beekeeping history, their curve may be small and/or gentle. Apparently, my curve was tall and steep!!

As you can imagine this worried me until I read on the concept of the bell curve. However, based on this concept, it can be expected that, after periods (length, probably based on the individual) of no stings, increased reactions to re-occur.

I learned quick the value of benedryl, and would administer if my reactions were becoming agressive. Afterwhich, 100% of the time, what ever reaction was happening would minimize.

I consider my reactions non-allergic. Never had problems w/ breathing or getting oxygen. However, the neck swelling thang did get my attention. benadryl = good!

#24 ·
...and the thread continues - keep it alive!

I don't want to get too caught up with semantics but there is no question that you are/were allergic - meaning that you have a hypersensitivity to venom. Tell yourself that your not allergic but all of the medical texts that I have looked in (over 15 current texts both pre-hospital and hospital care) would differ with you. I actually delivered a baby in the back of an ambulance a few years back and the woman told that she couldn’t be having a baby because she wasn’t pregnant (go figure). I have met hundreds of people through the years that don’t realize that they have off-baseline (allergic) reactions. Luckily you have been able to desensitize yourself (great - -good for you!!!). Others cannot, and actually develop worsening reactions each time they are stung.

In general, the concept of a symptoms/reaction curve makes sense but you were on the end of having an off-normal (hypersensitive) reaction to this protein. Not only that, but most doctors that I work with draw the line for anaphylaxis at a reaction that compromises the airway - - meaning tightness, neck swelling, swelling of the tongue, etc..

What does it mean to be hypersensitive or allergic? In general, most doctors would draw the line when you exhibit symptoms that are systemic or non-localized. In ‘normal’ cases when you are stung (and venom –protein enters the body) the body sends Mast cells containing IgE antibodies to the site which subsequently attach themselves (the IgE antibodies) to the venom. When this happens, histamines are released which (among other things) promotes blood vessel dilation causing swelling, itching etc. A systemic reaction that most would consider a hypersensitivity (an allergy if you will) is when Mast cells basically mistakenly release histamine in other areas of the body. It is the extent in which your body's Mast cells (you have millions) mistakenly release histamines that causes the various levels of reactions.

No question though that you have/had an allergy or hypersensitivity (some would consider mild anaphylaxis) that through desensitization you were able to mitigate the reaction. I would encourage people that if they have reactions that are non-localized to talk with their physician. You got it right though. Benadryl (Diphenhydramine) is the way to treat non-localized (and even bad localized) reactions because it inhibits the release of histamines.

#25 ·
WeaverBro, hives and tightness of the neck means that you ARE allergic, and when you desensitized yourself you were risking having your BREATHING shut off before any SWALLOWED benedryl could take effect.

A regular doctor will know more about infectious diseases than allergies, but an allergist knows what is what. PLEASE consult with an allergist about this, so that you carry something FASTER WORKING than swallowed benedryl.

Please?

#26 ·
Thanks for the feedback. FYI - prior begining beekeeping, around 4 years ago I went to an allergist and was tested for supposedly everything they test for (I used to have bad hay fever and fall pollen allergic reactions). I came back allergic for dust mites, ragweed, and cats. Well, w/o getting into it, I wasn't dedicated enough to continue going to my weekly sensitization doses (only went once or twice....what can I say?).

For what ever reason (bees and bee pollen!!?!), I have virtually no fall allergies....my wife came home w/ a couple of kitties which have not been a problem ( I assume cause I acclamated to their dander from young age?)...dust mites (who cares!).
So hopefully, I'm guessing I've already been tested by the allergist during the initial exam. Nothing was noted about bee or other venoms.

FYI - I did purchase an epipen when I began down this road, just in case. I do want to point out that my reactions were originally normal (minor itching, swelling at sting site.), became more severe, and have now (last fall) began tapering off. I expect my first few stings this year to be alittle more severe than where I ended....we'll see.

Just so you know where I was getting my venom curve theory...it's described in detail toward the back of the "Hive and the Honey Bee" (2000, revised addition).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.