Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

comb honey

5K views 13 replies 10 participants last post by  manbee 
#1 ·
Have not been having good luck on selling my comb honey. I would like to know how the best way to extract the honey out of the comb?

Dave

#4 ·
I've had trouble here, but I don't mind eating it, and I don't produce much. The older folks I've talked to about it remember it on the table, but prefer extracted honey, to the point of outright refusing a free Round.

I got the impression that they associated comb honey with a lifestyle (farming in the 30's and 40's) that they had left behind and didn't miss.

This is from talking to fewer than a half-dozen people, and I'm keeping my ears open for a market, since it's a lot less work than extracting:)

#7 ·
SQUISH IT, use 1/4" hardware cloth and force the comb thru it with a 2x4, strain it thru a fine screen and it should be good to go, I use that tecnique with comb from ferial hives that I extract. The other people were just trying to give you an alternitive to your problem, be cool and at least thank them for the attempt and suggestions. Or at least read "How to Make Friends and Influence People".

#8 ·
> I'm asking how to extract, not all this other B.S.

OK, then your options are limited to:

a) Crush the comb in a strainer, and let the
honey drip out.

b) Sell it to someone on this BBS, and use
the money to buy some extracted honey.
(You should be able to get more honey
that way, as comb honey of decent quality
always sells for more than extracted.)

c) Yell at it until the heat of your rage
about "all this BS" melts the wax,
then skim the wax off the honey, and
bottle.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.