Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Vitex Plants

10K views 26 replies 15 participants last post by  John Seets 
#1 ·
I planted 4-vitex bushes a couple of weeks ago. They were blooming, and the blooms expired, and fell off leaving what looks like little bulbs where there going to bloom again. I understand you cut the "spikes" off, to keep the plants blooming all summer. What are they talking about, cutting the spikes? Are these little bulbs at the end of the stems the spikes? I no nothing about the plants except the bees love them. I won't to get some more.

#27 ·
I ran a number of vitex nigundos about 10 years ago. The plant DOES resemble pot to such an extent that the scumbag neighbor next door called the police! Fortunatley, the police that came were able to verify that the vitex N. were NOT pot. The bees work the blooms avidly but dead-heading did not to seem to produce more blooms. Furthermore, the vitex N plants only seemed to last 2-3 years before dying out completely for reasons I have yet to discover. Soil test results from the DOA shed no light on this inexplicable demise of the plants. I still suspect neighbor intervention in that regard.

Later, I learned that nectar producing TREES produce more nectar per square foot than ANY low-growing bushes or ground flora so I have been concentrating on planting trees instead.

Golden Rain trees seems to attract a boat-load of bees and here in the mid-atlantic area blooms early to mid July. Evodia trees which are in bloom now attact bees by the zillions and it is interesting to note that they FRANTICALLY work the blooms. Much more so than other flora - trees or otherwise.

Thanx.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.